thinking about making a drum smoker/grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about making a drum smoker/grill

Not sure if i am heading the right way with this. But i want a smoker/grill i can use for smoking meat, and grilling steaks and so on but i want to use straight wood like you would with a camp fire. I am thinking a barrel smoker/grill. Will a 55 gallon drum do this. Not sure how to set them up for smoking either. I thought one up and down with one laying over it. Use the bottom one to hold the wood for smoking and the top would hold the meat for either smoking or grillling. Any ideas. Also what kind of welder would i need. I would not have a proplem using say gas charcoal or elec for the smoking part but i love wood grilled meat.

Here is a good "how to" for making a 55 gallon drum into a vertical smoker called a UDS (ugly drum smoker)
    http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457

Here is how to adapt it for grilling
    http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1575
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Wu's got you covered Tim.. You cant go wrong with a drum... Just ask anyone who has built one or ask the Commander & Chief or the Drum Corp BBQ Bubba about how efficient they are..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

S what they /\ said
        Glen
        Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
        KCBS CBJ
        Blue Thermopen
        Profile:
        http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

thanks guys your alot of help
          Originally posted by flyin' illini View Post
          S what they /\ said

Comment

Sounds like your wanting to build a Big Baby smoker.

Do a Google search and you'll have a million ideas but i must agree...

If you can get 2 barrels, 2 drum smokers would be the way to go!

YMMV!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              Wu's got you covered Tim.. You cant go wrong with a drum... Just ask anyone who has built one or ask the Commander & Chief or the Drum Corp BBQ Bubba about how efficient they are..
              Umm....shouldn't i like get a patch or something like that???

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                Bend over, Bubba. Got me a hickory branch too thin for smokin'- one patch coming up!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

Im working on that...Let me see what I can come up with.
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
                    Not sure if i am heading the right way with this. But i want a smoker/grill i can use for smoking meat, and grilling steaks and so on but i want to use straight wood like you would with a camp fire. I am thinking a barrel smoker/grill. Will a 55 gallon drum do this. Not sure how to set them up for smoking either. I thought one up and down with one laying over it. Use the bottom one to hold the wood for smoking and the top would hold the meat for either smoking or grillling. Any ideas. Also what kind of welder would i need. I would not have a proplem using say gas charcoal or elec for the smoking part but i love wood grilled meat.
                    The double-barrel smoker (two laid sideways) or an offset smoker (one up and one sideways) made with drums are the only things that will fit all your requirements. The DBS design will be effective from 150-500 degrees, allowing it to be used as a true grill and also serve as a true smoker, and it can be a true stick-burner without using a lick of coal. It's a different kind of flavor with all wood, I agree.

There are all kinds of builds for these all over the Net. Here's mine, using Vogelzang double-barrel stove parts, and it is an easy one to do. This build can also be done "from scratch" with scrap metal and ingenuity, rather than a stove kit. It'll cook 100+ pounds at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X