got a odd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a odd question

I went to the local store which for a small town and store it has a good meat area. The cut all there own meat and sell in bulk. They where cutting frozen cut of beef on the band saw, the guy said they where bone out chucks of whole cow. HE said they just bone out the cow and cut junks from it. They use it for ground beef. My thought was use it for pulled beef. The hamburger sells for about 1.90 to 2.20 i thought if i could get it cut in say 5 to 10 pound chunks maybe alittle cheaper then the hamburger i could use it for pulled beef. Seems like it was maybe 70\30 give or take. or would the type of meat very to much.

Long as you are getting the chuck meat.. You would be a small hunk of shoulder clod Im sure.. $1.90 lb. is a steal for a good clod
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

how would i know if i get the chuck part.
      Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      Long as you are getting the chuck meat.. You would be a small hunk of shoulder clod Im sure.. $1.90 lb. is a steal for a good clod

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
        how would i know if i get the chuck part.

Just ask the butcher to save you chunk of chuck the next time they are processing the meat.. Give him your phone number so he can call you when he has it.. It never hurts to befriend a good butcher.. Once you start turning out some good Q take him some one day for lunch... Never hurts to score some brownie points..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Just ask the butcher to save you chunk of chuck the next time they are processing the meat.. Give him your phone number so he can call you when he has it.. It never hurts to befriend a good butcher.. Once you start turning out some good Q take him some one day for lunch... Never hurts to score some brownie points..
          This is GREAT advice... Good old time local butchers are rare these days take care of them and they'll take care of YOU!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I will see what i can do i know the ground beef stuff is frozen so not sure if he can get me a chunk of chuck or not but i know they cut up there own chucks down to little roast so that way might be a good way to get a good piece of meat cheap. I love sam's club they cut the meat how you want it and so on but the only big chunks are either sirlion or say ribeyes or tbones whole.

Comment

great advice, I can tell you first hand, it works. This is what most butchers get there chucks as.

Sam's club uses them too. If you can see that price, you will see what"feeding the Butcher" can do for you. That's right $1.88 lb. and thats for USDA Choice angus.
              If I didn't have a lil goody bag for my buddy at the meat shop every week, I wouldn't be able to get that piece of meat for less than $2.49- $2.89 lb. At 23+ lbs, the savings add up.

Never heard of boning a whole cow(no jokes now). I think there may be a slight missunderstanding, or something was lost in translation!

Next time you go to the store, introduce yourself to the meat manager, and explain that your newest addiction is smoking meats,and that you would like to have a portion of the next chuck roll he cuts up.He will probably sell it to you for the price of chuck roasts are the day you are there.I would recommend you start with a 3-5 lb piece. then follow these instructions.
              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130
              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Working...
              X