WTF's Up with the Membrane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF's Up with the Membrane?

So I picked up a couple of racks of BBs at Safeway this afternoon to smoke tomorrow. Nothing spectacular, just the normal stuff I get from there but they felt a little frozen which seemed unusual.

Then I opened them this evening to prep them and I'll be damned if I can get the #$%%^ membrane off the first rack. I used the same small knife and procedure.that I have used with great success in the past but I could not get a spot to start without the membrane tearing and shredding.

No way could I get enough of a piece started enough to get my finger under it and then proceed with the paper towel.

So I am thinking well, I'm screwed and probably won't be able to get the membrane off either of them (since they were partially frozen maybe ) so I grab the second rack, (which seemed even more frozen) without much hope.

The membrane came off the second one with no problem at all!! WTF??

I'm going to smoke 'em anyway and I'm doing one rack with rub and one without (special request from my daughter) but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experience and if anyone has any suggestions if I can't get it off at all. I figured I'd try again in the morning but if I can't I guess I can just slice the membrane with a knife maybe?

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

I hate it when that happens, I usually just get to frustrated and leave it on!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

i have had it hard to get off before but really didnt notice that much of a difference when it was cooked so you should be fine.as a matter of fact my first backyard contest i won i forgot to take the membrane off.
      sigpic
      GO GATORS.
      Raymond Cato
      MOJO SMOKEHOUSE BBQ TEAM.
      125 Gallon Stickburner yet to be named
      BBQ GRILLWARE STAINLESS CHARCOAL
      2 ecbs
      bbq pro offset
      18.5"WSM
      22" WSM
      22" WEBER OTS
      smoked meat member #57

Comment

Dave, I get em from time ta time like that, it just won't budge, I score the membrane down the bone an inbetween, seems ta work out fine. Like gettin it off a there ifin I can, but hey, sometimes ya just can't win!

Good luck!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
          Originally posted by douglaslizard View Post
          i have had it hard to get off before but really didnt notice that much of a difference when it was cooked so you should be fine
          The first set of spare ribs I did when I first started smoking, I could not get the membrane off. Seemed like the ribs had a little "snap" to the bite kind of like a hot dog skin.

But then . . . I messed those first ribs up so bad the least of my problems was the membrane still being on. Can you say "creosote"?

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
          I score the membrane down the bone an inbetween, seems ta work out fine.
          Thanks, Tip. I'll have to give that a try.

Dave
          Last edited by DDave; 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM.
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

For years, I grilled ribs not knowing I was supposed to remove the membrane. I wouldn't worry about one like that once in awhile.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Some times I get backs that are already peeled. Last time I had one slab peeled and one not. It took me a while to figure out that there was nothin to pull on the neked one... but Im like that ya know...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

I think sometimes during the butchering/trimming process, the membrane ends up being easy to pull, and they just yank it, rather than leave it hanging there?
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

BOIL THEM!!!! DAH!!!! HAHAHA!!!!

Tom

Comment

so has bubba turned up yet ?
                    (kinda seemed to lead in from gunny's comment :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Some times I get backs that are already peeled. Last time I had one slab peeled and one not. It took me a while to figure out that there was nothin to pull on the neked one... but Im like that ya know...

lol I was teaching my boy child the fine art of membrane removel. all the same ribs bought the same day. there was four of them so the 1st one I did, he was attentivly watching and eager to start.
                      mine pulld right off. looked like a pro.lol. so I said here ya go.soon as you get this done we will put the rub on.

the one he started with had the membrane already removed. and I was wondering what was taking him so long. I went over and said this is taking you way to long. and I stared in. what ever that stuff isunder the emebrane we removed it..lol. but as we were just about done I relized the membrane was not there to begin with.lol.
                      mine was pulling off like you described. might not have been one on that one..
                      tricky butchers.lol
                      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

before getting the bradley i cooked racks of ribs maybe 4 or 5 times. I never took the membrane off untill last sunday for the first one i smoked. I kind of like it. But i like the rub getting in there better.
                        Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post

Comment

Beavis and Butthead used to play a song titled
                          "Insane in the Membrane, Insane in the Brain"

Perhaps if you download it, play it - the membranes will come off.

Just a thought. :)

Comment

Working...
                          X