Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

My father in law is told me today he has some sassafras trees on his farm. I have only lived here in WV for 4 years and have never heard of this tree before. Anyone know if this would be good wood for smoking??
    sigpic

http://virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html

Sassafras is listed under appropriate woods. Though I did a search on google and the reviews are mixed. It might be worth a try in my opinion because I think root beer flavor comes from sassafras.

Comment

Yeah, I'd do a test cook with something small like on a Smokey Joe or a kettle. That way if you don't care for it you're not out much. Then again, you can usually get a decent idea just by smelling the smoke. Maybe throw a chunk on wait a bit and see what she smells like. Don't like it? Take it off and go with what you know!
      I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

We have lots of Sassafras here in Kentucky but I've never tried smoking with it. In addition to root beer flavor made from the roots and bark you can also make tea from the roots and gumbo file is made from the dried leaves.
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

not saying one way or the other but i seem to have read something about it being toxic... If nothing else an interesting read, for all you woodworkers out there too. I think the main thing this leads to is use respiratory protection when sawing, sanding etc...

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
            gumbo file is made from the dried leaves.
            But remember gumbo file` is used more for thickening than flavor, though it does have a subtle flavor.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
              not saying one way or the other but i seem to have read something about it being toxic... If nothing else an interesting read, for all you woodworkers out there too. I think the main thing this leads to is use respiratory protection when sawing, sanding etc...

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/
              Actual straight sassafras has been outlawed for use in flavorings. It IS toxic.

Sassafras albidum – Sassafras (roots) – safrole. The oil from these roots is believed to be carcinogenic so artificial versions are generally used instead. However, natural extracts with the safrole distilled and removed are available.

Hence, do NOT use for smoking.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Boy my day is just not going well today, got yelled at from a state trooper this morning and now this. I use to dig up sassafras roots and make tea all the time when I was a Kid.

And looks like we are suppose to get an inch of rain in Chicago in January.

Its just destined to be a bad day.........

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                  Boy my day is just not going well today, got yelled at from a state trooper this morning and now this. I use to dig up sassafras roots and make tea all the time when I was a Kid.

And looks like we are suppose to get an inch of rain in Chicago in January.

Its just destined to be a bad day.........
                  Dude, I am really sorry to hear that. My day is the opposite. I got nothing but cool things happening over here. Forgot my wife left her car here when she left on a trip early this AM and I didn't bother to look when I backed into the driveway after dropping my son off. Totally thought the whole thing was wide open. Still managed to miss her van without looking. Some of my kids' butterfly larva just hatched and they are going to freak out when they get home!
                  Sending some good mojo your way bro!

Keep in mind, getting yelled at is waaaaay better than not getting yelled at and handed a coupon ;)
                  I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                    Dude, I am really sorry to hear that. My day is the opposite. I got nothing but cool things happening over here. Forgot my wife left her car here when she left on a trip early this AM and I didn't bother to look when I backed into the driveway after dropping my son off. Totally thought the whole thing was wide open. Still managed to miss her van without looking. Some of my kids' butterfly larva just hatched and they are going to freak out when they get home!
                    Sending some good mojo your way bro!

Keep in mind, getting yelled at is waaaaay better than not getting yelled at and handed a coupon ;)

Coupon! Just made my day!!!
                    Don

Humphrey's Pint
                    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                    Anova One Sous Vide
                    AMPS
                    Purple Thermapen
                    Maverick ET-733
                    DigIQ DX2
                    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

hey trav,i also hail from the hillbilly,i've used the sassafras a few times for smoke,its mild like fruit wood.where ya at in wv

Comment

Originally posted by kave View Post
                        hey trav,i also hail from the hillbilly,i've used the sassafras a few times for smoke,its mild like fruit wood.
                        Kinda like that hemp rope.

Speaking of hillbilly, where travcoman been? Tip, where you hidin?
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Well, I will try it on some inexpensive cut of meat and let everyone know the outcome. But I am a little wary if its toxic....
                          sigpic

Comment

Re:

My Grand dad from West Virginia had a smoke house and I remember Mom and my Uncle talking about Grand dad sending them out to gather up sassafras sticks for the smoking each fall.

They remember him having so much smoke going the place looked like it was burning down at times.

Grand dad had his bag of salt, a big 5 gallon crock, an egg, his box of spices and herbs and he'd do his brining as they laid sassafras by for the smoke.

None of them was ever adversely effected by the sassafras smoke.

Now, it's worth pointing out that there are a lot of BBQ sauces that have
                            Root Beer as their flavoring agent in them. I made some here awhile back
                            with Dad's Root Beer. I wanted a real old fashioned flavor source.

In the south so much of the que sauces relied on bottles of soda as
                            it was a practical source of flavor and sugar for cheap. The people could afford it and have some good food.

Here is the link to the Root Beer sauce recipe

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...beer+BBQ+sauce
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Working...
                            X