came out good but one proplem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• came out good but one proplem

Well i smoked two shoulders and a arm roast for my mystery meat sandwichs. The two shoulder came out great. On one was itailan seasoning lemon pepper garlic salt. The other was the same add some brown surger. The arm roast was the same as the second.
    Smoked at around 220 for 5 hours 280 for 3 or so. I think because the arm roast had brown surger and it was on bottom rack it burnt bad on the bottom. I got about 3/4 of it after cutting of the burnt part. The two shoulders where great. i took them in the shoulders where alittle underdone for pulling so i end up chopping it up with my heavy cleaver. The shoulders tasted great. I added some of the pork with the beef about 50/50 i think. It tasted good going to go have a sandwich with it now to do a good taste test. My brother did not bring his cam so no pics sorry again guys.

I am unsure what to smoke next i did chicken twice pork country ribs and the baby backs. The two shoulders and arm roast. Now i am thinking a turkey but i am still getting alittle sootty taste on the out side of the meat so i do not want to ruin a turkey. I am thinking about pulling some sirlion. Maybe it is time to try some candian bacon. at this point i have no idea but am open to any ideas. maybe a briskit but the one i did in the slowcook i did not care for. And i do not think any one here likes it either.

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
    I am unsure what to smoke next i did chicken twice pork country ribs and the baby backs. The two shoulders and arm roast. Now i am thinking a turkey but i am still getting alittle sootty taste on the out side of the meat so i do not want to ruin a turkey. :
    Sooty taste? Are you barely seeing a "thin blue smoke" or billowing smoke?
    Lots of smoke is not so good.... A briskey is a long smoke my friend! be prepared, and let us know we will be up with ya!
    Happy smokes!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I'm curious. This is the second post where you say something on the bottom shelf burned. And I notice that you're messing with the temps. And 8 hours seems awful quick for a couple shoulders. Maybe the Bradley is just that good. But I bet not.
      Are you foiling? Do you notice a plateau? Are you turning or moving the meat at all?
      Just some questions about your method. Fill me in.

Tom

Comment

Don't worry about it.

Obviously this never happened.

Don't look for something different to cook, keep doing butts till you get your problem fixed, otherwise your just wasting meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
          Don't worry about it.

Obviously this never happened.

Don't look for something different to cook, keep doing butts till you get your problem fixed, otherwise your just wasting meat.
          Bubba, you kill me. Will you adopt me.

Tom

Comment

Whoa...

I agree with Bubba.

You should leave the temp steady, not jacking it up and down. Let it take as long as it takes. Thats what good "Q" is about.
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

BTW, what are you cooking on?

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                BTW, what are you cooking on?

Big Tim just bought a Bradley Digital Smoker..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

NO moving no foil just straight smoke it tasted good people liked it Might have jumped the gun on pulling it out. temp went to 212 then i went up and got it to around 250 t0 26 at the end.
                  Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  I'm curious. This is the second post where you say something on the bottom shelf burned. And I notice that you're messing with the temps. And 8 hours seems awful quick for a couple shoulders. Maybe the Bradley is just that good. But I bet not.
                  Are you foiling? Do you notice a plateau? Are you turning or moving the meat at all?
                  Just some questions about your method. Fill me in.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
                    NO moving no foil just straight smoke it tasted good people liked it Might have jumped the gun on pulling it out. temp went to 212 then i went up and got it to around 250 t0 26 at the end.
                    You should smoke those shoulders at 225° to 250° and foil when they (the meat) get to 140° or so. If pulling, get them up to 205° and if slicing, 190°. You should have a noticeable plateau, where the temps don't move for hours, or even go down some. And when it's all said and done, leave to rest in a pillow lined cooler for an hour or more.
                    I have a stick burner, so maybe the learning curve is bit different, but principle is principle. Big pork roasts on my stick burner take at least 14 hours.
                    I think you need to tune your method.
                    Go to this post. He doesn't foil, but that's what works for him. Most foil. Nevertheless, it's a great tutorial.
                    Last edited by Gunslinger; 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      You should smoke those shoulders at 225° to 250° and foil when they (the meat) get to 140° or so. If pulling, get them up to 205° and if slicing, 190°. You should have a noticeable plateau, where the temps don't move for hours, or even go down some. And when it's all said and done, leave to rest in a pillow lined cooler for an hour or more.
                      I have a stick burner, so maybe the learning curve is bit different, but principle is principle. Big pork roasts on my stick burner take at least 14 hours.
                      I think you need to tune your method.
                      Go to this post. He doesn't foil, but that's what works for him. Most foil. Nevertheless, it's a great tutorial.

Great answer and helpful direction Gunny...Bravo buddy..
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                      X