questions about tender quik.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about tender quik.

I have done chicken twice whole. leg quarters and whole breast. two sets of pork ribs one country sytle one baby back. Two pork shoulders and a arm roast.
    now i am at a lost for what to do next. On my list is canadien bacon belly bacon and or a home cured home smoked ham. But i know nothing about curing stuff. So here my question. How do i know how much tender quik to use for each. Is it just a set amount for each pound. Also i have a bradley and it is warm here is central indiana. There calling for 80 is that to hot for cold smoking.

Here is the Morton salt link..
    http://www.mortonsalt.com/
    The tender quick gives you the amounts needed to use. Also there is a link here with a math conversion ...
    Its by Shooter Rick here it is..
    Curing times:
    You should figure 1 day cure time per ¼ inch from center of meat out. In other words measure the total thickness of the meat and divide by 2. Divide this result by 0.25. The result of this is the minimum number of days suggested to cure.
    I hope this helps!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

80° might be too warm if that smoker is sitting in the sun.
      Personally, I'd slow down a bit if I were you. With your sooty taste problems, I think you need to get to know your smoker a bit better.

Tom

Comment

and maybe read some of the forum threads as well :-)

There's a lot of info on here - in fact all your questions so far have been answered somewhere on the forum.

Plus if you're stuck for ideas, reading through some of the amazing stuff members cook is the best thing I know to stimulate your creative juices :-)

If you want to know about bacon - read the bacon section. Just about everything you'd want to know is already there.
        Weights, times, recipes etc - all there already :-)

So best advice to you at the moment is to read more threads :-)

Oh yeah and smoke a fatty or three :-) (and there's a section for that as well :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

a lot of people think tenderquick is too salty & prefer prague powder #1-myself included.
          80 is a bit warm for cold smoking unless you go overnight & the temps drop(kentucky here).
          i prefer to do my cold smoking between 30 & 50-outside temps,pit temp around 80-85.
          bacon is not hard but like these other guys suggest,get some basic smokes wired first because you don't want to be discuraged by a bad 1st attempt.
          good luck
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Tenderquick is easy to use if you follow the directions exactly. Many threads and such on site to help you out with info. If you do a fry test before smoking and feel it is too salty just soak the meat in fresh cold water with some quartered raw taters. First time I would check at quarter hour intervals to get to the salt content you want and make notes. Hope this helps. I do agree you need to be confident in your smoking technique and so far I hot smoke my CB.
            sigpic

My Facebook page
            http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

thanks guys i think cb is going to be my next porject.
              Originally posted by ShooterRick View Post
              Tenderquick is easy to use if you follow the directions exactly. Many threads and such on site to help you out with info. If you do a fry test before smoking and feel it is too salty just soak the meat in fresh cold water with some quartered raw taters. First time I would check at quarter hour intervals to get to the salt content you want and make notes. Hope this helps. I do agree you need to be confident in your smoking technique and so far I hot smoke my CB.

Comment

Working...
              X