Saturday Babybacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Babybacks

Well, I went ahead and smoked the ribs that were involved in the mysterious membrane episode.

Here they are prepped and ready to go.

I did one with rub and one without. Special request from my 8 year old daughter. (The rub is a little spicy for her. )

Here they are after a few hours in.

The naked one looks kind of strange. Never done any without rub before. But I did put a glaze on both racks. Been experimenting with a recipe of 1/4 cup each of brown sugar, Jim Beam, vinegar, mustard and 1/3 cup of honey. My daughter is a BIG FAN of honey so she likes the glaze.

Here they are glazed and off the drum.

And here they are sliced and ready to eat.

I used one chunk of hickory and about 4 chunks of apple. I really liked the smoky flavor and the way they smelled while they were cooking.

Turned out okay. Not the best ribs I've ever done but not the worst either. Had a little issue with the drum starting out. While it is mostly impervious to the wind apparently when there is a real steady breeze whistling across the top of it it causes enough of an induction draft to really get things going. Temps climb in the 290s after I put the ribs on. I put up the wind break and then the temps came back down to a normal range. Never really had that problem before but this wasn't really normal wind.

The membrane was definitely still on one of the racks. I could feel the "hot dog like" snap when I bit into it. Parts of the rib were real tender and parts were kind of like an overcooked pork chop. I did pretty close to 2-1.5-1 like I normally do but will just chalk it up to maybe some not so good racks this time. But not the end of the world. They will all get eaten, that's for sure.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

good looking ribs ya got there
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Hey my name is jake and i just got a smoker a few weeks ago i have heard its not the best kind you can buy and i figured that but i need like a quick and easy to follow instruction and your yellow smoker in the picture looks similar to mine! how do i use a charcoal smoker with two pans and two racks. it has no vents which seems kinda strange. i used it last week and buried the taste of the misquite wood into the meat i cooked and i didnt think it tasted so great HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
      Mitchell!!!

Comment

DDave, just keep workin on them ribs,once in a while its possible to get a bad rack or two.

Jake welcome to the site. Lotsa of great info here. Check out our charcoal smoker forums, and first stop off at "new member introductions" and introduce yourself so everyone can say howdy, and I bet there will be alot of answers to your questions..
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by norajake View Post
          Hey my name is jake and i just got a smoker a few weeks ago i have heard its not the best kind you can buy and i figured that but i need like a quick and easy to follow instruction and your yellow smoker in the picture looks similar to mine! how do i use a charcoal smoker with two pans and two racks. it has no vents which seems kinda strange. i used it last week and buried the taste of the misquite wood into the meat i cooked and i didnt think it tasted so great HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
          Jake, I'd love to help you out but if you bought the smoker new, I'm guessing that it is a Weber or Brinkmann bullet type smoker? I don't have any experience with those but there are many members here that do. Mine is a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) that I (and many others here) have built with help from BBQ Bubba. The UDS is quite a different animal from a regular upright so I'm not sure if my advice would help or hinder you. Here is a link to the UDS section.

If it turns out that you do have a UDS, I would be more than glad to help. But just to be sure, do like Capt Dan says and stop by the New Members Introduction forum and introduce yourself, tell us a little bit about your smoker and your background and we'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
          DDave, just keep workin on them ribs,once in a while its possible to get a bad rack or two.
          Thanks, Dan. A year ago I would have been spending a lot of time second guessing myself and trying to figure out I did wrong. But I've been pretty happy with my ribs the last several times out so I'll just blame the ribs this time. Between them being partially frozen and that @#$%&membrane issue, I wasn't totally surprised that they turned out screwy. There's always next time.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

dang it dave, its almost 2 am and i come across this, but lucky me i got some bb's in the freezer from last sale and i bought a case. so here i go, off to freezer at 2 am, wife yelling at me, to get some ribs to thaw for tomorrow.

nice ribs!!! i gona try your glaze on at least one rack. id give ya points but wont let me. great job!!!
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Great looking ribs! Thanks for the pics.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

i think it's the ribs themselves dave. those were smithfield right ? i've been buying them lately & they seem to be going downhill.
                but they still look great.
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                  i gona try your glaze on at least one rack.
                  I can't make any promises, but let me know what you think. I'm still messing with it. I would like for it to be a bit thicker. I mixed everything together but the honey and simmered it for a bit (5 minutes maybe) trying to get it to reduce a bit. About that time my wife yells from the patio "What stinks like vinegar?". I tell her it's the glaze but I haven't added the honey yet.

Then I added the honey and let it simmer some more. It is a little thin when it comes of the stove but it thickens up a bit as it cools. Never have really gotten it to "set" good, but maybe I need more heat at the very end to set it.

Experimenting is fun though.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Experimenting is fun though.

Dave
                    Dave amen to that!
                    Your ribs look great, I am still working on my ribs... practice, practice, practice I guess, but I am not that big a rib eater so... I am never happy when they are done. You did a fine job!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                    X