Jerky Pre-heat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky Pre-heat ?

Ok, I am gonna try the new LEM Dehydrator this weekend with an 8 lb batch of jerky. I am reading lots about heating the meat to 160 for a few minutes before drying in dehydrator in case it doesn't hit safety temp mark in there. Any idea how I could do that ? 8 lbs of jerky certainly won't fit in my smoker for pre-heating. Thanks.

Preheat? Hmmm I have not heard this... it's pre-cured right?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yes I will be using cure in the marinade but I was also wondering about the effectiveness of that since the meat will sit in marinade for 36 hours but the cure will technically still in the marinade when the meat is taken out for drying. Most of the jerky recipes I researched did not call for cure but I do use it myself at the normal rate of 1 tsp per 5 lbs meat. ( Cure #1 ).

Comment

I don't think I would do the "pre-heat" thing. It is basically cooking the meat.
        Jerky is not cooked but dried. The flavor will be totally different with it cooked first.
        If it is cured then you don't need to worry about the temps. Just cure/marinde it & dry it & you will have good "normal" jerky. JMHO
        MES 30"
        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
        Weber 22" kettle
        E-Z-Que rotisserie
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Big Weber Gasser
        Cracker Smoker
        UDS

Comment

Yep, what L20A said.........
          Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah I never heated to 160 beforehand any other time I made jerky but I was making it in oven or on smoker. Then I started reading about dehydrators possibly not getting it to 160 and that was a concern apparently. So if the cure is only in the marinade, which of course gets tossed out when the meat comes out of it, does the meat get properly cured that way ? As opposed to the cure being added in sausage for example where it stays with the meat .

Comment

Originally posted by Panthur View Post
              Thanks guys. Yeah I never heated to 160 beforehand any other time I made jerky but I was making it in oven or on smoker. Then I started reading about dehydrators possibly not getting it to 160 and that was a concern apparently. So if the cure is only in the marinade, which of course gets tossed out when the meat comes out of it, does the meat get properly cured that way ? As opposed to the cure being added in sausage for example where it stays with the meat .
              IMO, the cure penetrates the meat when brining & stays in the meat throughout the smoking, drying & dehydrating process. I have read some of that cook to 160* before dehydrating stuff also.
              sigpic

Comment

i just recently saw this thing about pre-heating in a couple of "new" methods listed on website for state extension agencies etc. naturally, they want to make the process completely "safe" and "idiot-proof," so that they won't get sued when someone manages to make themselves sick through their own bad handling procedures.

i personally would never do it; i don't think it is necessary and it DOES change the character of the finished product. jerky is dried meat, not cooked meat. if i were making jerky from pork, poultry or some other "non-conventional" meat, i might consider it; i probably wouldn't DO it, but i might consider it.

but for beef, deer, elk, antelope, and other more traditional jerky meats, i would never do it - salt/cure it, and dry it with confidence.

as always, i'm speaking for myself here, based on over 30 years of making and eating jerky. your mileage may vary, and everyone should do the research, then do what they are comfortable with - but the fact is that this is not building the space shuttle or engaging in brain surgery; if dried/salted meat were dangerous, then darwin would have taken care of the issue a long, long time ago.
                Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM.
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Yeah, I am sure someone with a more scientific explanation will chime in here but by curing the meat is an actual change in the meat itself. The cure facilitates this. The cure penetrates the meat and causes the reaction as it does. This prohibits bactirial growth and make the product safe to consume. Dumping the marinade only gets rid of excess cure and whatever is left from the marinade.
                  Think of it this way I guess. When you dump your marinade, is the meat still marinated?
                  I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Awesome information as usual guys. Thanks from everyone for your input. I will make the jerky as I have in the past ( except for I will be using the new LEM dehydrator ) instead of oven or smoker.

Comment

The cure should penetrate the meat at a rate of about 1/4" per day. So, if you slice the meat at 1/4" thick, then a day in the cure/brine should be perfect, assuming that you have the correct amount of cure in the brine.
                      Actually I think 1/2 a day would work because the cure is getting at the meat from both sides, so it only has to penetrate 1/8" on each side.
                      MES 30"
                      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                      Weber 22" kettle
                      E-Z-Que rotisserie
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Big Weber Gasser
                      Cracker Smoker
                      UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
                        The cure should penetrate the meat at a rate of about 1/4" per day. So, if you slice the meat at 1/4" thick, then a day in the cure/brine should be perfect, assuming that you have the correct amount of cure in the brine.
                        Actually I think 1/2 a day would work because the cure is getting at the meat from both sides, so it only has to penetrate 1/8" on each side.
                        Yeah, it is always done after 18 hours for me for sure (I usually do it in the late AM to early afternoon and then by morning it is good). Frequently though I do it for closer to 48 hours to really let the flavor set in. I have noticed a difference in flavor from a 1 day to a 2 day cure/marinade.
                        I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by Panthur View Post
                          Most of the jerky recipes I researched did not call for cure but I do use it myself at the normal rate of 1 tsp per 5 lbs meat. ( Cure #1 ).
                          Yep..and most of the recipes are downright dangerous too. You are doing right.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The heat method is recommended by the USDA for home makers. Do it in the oven.
                            It is required for all professionals to do.
                            The rule is to bring it up to 160 in oven and then move to dryer to finish.
                            The bugs in the meat when one dries slowly will build up an immunity to heat and survive and could make one sick. Also they recommend cure #1

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets...fety/index.asp

Now for the record i do not follow that advice and i do not always use cure in my jerky and for me and billions of other people around the world it has been very safe. Follow your own conscience.
                            If i give away jerky for gifts i use the cure.
                            Karl
                            Last edited by ExhaustedSpark; 03-31-2013, 12:58 PM.
                            Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                            Disabled
                            Member American Legion
                            Life Member NRA
                            Life Member ARRL

Comment

Quote from USDA.

Why is it a food safety concern to dry meat without first heating it to 160 °F?
                              The danger in dehydrating meat and poultry without cooking it to a safe temperature first is that the appliance will not heat the meat to 160 °F and poultry to 165 °F — temperatures at which bacteria are destroyed — before the dehydrating process. After drying, bacteria become much more heat resistant.

Within a dehydrator or low-temperature oven, evaporating moisture absorbs most of the heat. Thus, the meat itself does not begin to rise in temperature until most of the moisture has evaporated. Therefore, when the dried meat temperature finally begins to rise, the bacteria have become more heat resistant and are more likely to survive. If these surviving bacteria are pathogenic, they can cause foodborne illness to those consuming the jerky
                              Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                              Disabled
                              Member American Legion
                              Life Member NRA
                              Life Member ARRL

Comment

Working...
                              X