what time!?!?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what time!?!?!?!?!

got my uds all seasoned up and for the first cook im doing 2 8 pound butts want them to be rested and ready to serve at 5 pm tommorow. we are haveing a huge snow storm here in ny and its about 25 now and could go down to below 20 over night so my question is what time should i start them to get them done in time

I always figure 1.5 hours per pound @ 225* Dont be afraid to put them on a bit earlier.. you can always wrap and put in the cooler and they will stay hot for hours. I have let mine set for five hours and they were still too hot to handle by hand!! So based on the size of the butts I would say atleast 5 am. So you need to have your pit running and up to temp at 5 am.. not sure how long yours will take to come to temp in that weather!!

Your toughest part will be keeping your temps where you need them to be in that weather!! Have your lump ready to add if need be!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Well, if it's your first rodeo, I wouldn't take any chances. Depending on what temps you're going to run, give yourself at least 12 hours. The butts have got to rest a bit, keep that in mind.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

using stubbs briquettes and its my first time on this pit but i work for dinosaur barbque so ive cook a few buts before just wasnt sure how the uds would perform in this weather thanks for the input

Comment

Start early and the cooler is yer friend :{)
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well I routinely do two 5 pounders in 9 hours at 250°. Put 'em on at 6 am and they're usually ready to come off by 3 pm.

If I were you, I'd put 'em on at 5 am though and cook 'em at 250° and have the cooler on standby.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

thanks for all the input guys its 3 am and i decided id rather have em done early than late so i started the chimney at 2 and i just put thos piggys to bed so im guessing they should be done around 1 tommorow got my cooler on standby i was surprised how quickly the temps stabilized in this wether we have here in ny but shes rolling along right around 220-230

Comment

wow this thing is an animal 14 outside and im working to keep temps down holding pretty well with a little adjusting temps 240-265 for the past hour

Comment

OMG Bless your heart, out there in that crazy weather cooking some butts. You need a cup of hot ass coffee and a

Comment

We shall not be moved!

I love it. Freezing cold, snow storm, and the only advice you are looking for is about start times.

It really is an addiction.

Ken

Comment

oh yeah, cant wait to see this finish!!
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

you da man, dog gone cold outside but keep after it, it is worth the work.

remember, no pics, didnt happen.
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

well i had to make adjustments about every hour until i decided to take my ball valve off my the side vent and put it on the bottom soon as i did that temps stablized with almost no adjustment been cruising at 235 for the past 4 hours meat is temping about 165 - 170 so a few more hours and into the cooler we go pics to follow

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown52 View Post
                            well i had to make adjustments about every hour until i decided to take my ball valve off my the side vent and put it on the bottom soon as i did that temps stablized with almost no adjustment been cruising at 235 for the past 4 hours meat is temping about 165 - 170 so a few more hours and into the cooler we go pics to follow
                            Sounds like you got it under control . I have a question. When you say that you removed the ball valve from the side and put it on the bottom. What exactly do you mean ? All of the uds builds I've seen have the intakes about two inches form the bottom. Not trying to be an asshat. Just trying to understand.
                            Weber Smoky Joe
                            18" Weber Silver
                            22.5" Weber Gold
                            22.5" Weber Silver
                            UDS X 2
                            Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                            Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                            Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                            Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                            Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                            Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                            Blackstone three burner flat top
                            5" AMZNPS
                            Vortex x 2
                            Maverick ET 73
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                            Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                            Pitmaster iQue 110
                            sigpic

Comment

i haved three 3/4" inlets 2" from the bottom one has a 90 on it with about 2.5 ft pipe with the ball valve on top of that my adjustments on the ball valve werent really makeing any difference so i removed the ball valve and put it on on of the intaks near the bottom and it seems to do the trick now with the valve about half and one intake capped

Comment

Working...
                              X