Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ribs on the drum. Foiled and Unfoiled.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ribs on the drum. Foiled and Unfoiled.

Fired up the drum today for some babybacks. I have been reading other UDS users posting about how the drum is a very moist cooking environment (and I agree based on the moisture accumulation on the bottom of my drum) So I decided to do a little side by side comparison

3 slabs, rubbed and ready for some smoke

One slab went about 5 hours straight through. And the other 2 got a modified 2-2-1 method. It was probably about 2.5-2.0-.5 The slab that is closest in the pic is the unfoiled slab. You can see one of the rear slabs fell apart when I picked it up of the grate

Here is a cross section pic. The one on the right is the unfoiled

All in all it was good. My temps were running a little hot today so the bark is a little too crisp. The meat inside both was juicy and tender. But the unfoiled slab had a crisper exterior. I think that is probably a by product of temp and maybe a little too much brown sugar in the rub.

I will probably continue to foil in the future but wouldn't mind leaving them unfoiled from time to time.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Nice job wutang. Looks great. Send some my way if any left
    Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Yes great job... I so suck at ribs! I am jealous they look perfect! I will take some if your sending out care packages!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

wutang just awesome looking. I like the crispy out side myself. I am going to have to get a drum.that all there is to it.
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Great looking ribs. Foiled or not, I'd eat some of those.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
            I will probably continue to foil in the future but wouldn't mind leaving them unfoiled from time to time.
            Looks good Wutaing. I tried one rack not foiling but I was still opening to mop and check and such and to me they came out a little drier than I'd like. But other people have reported such incredible results without foiling that it keeps we wanting to try again.

I think one of these days I'll try a rack on the drum without foil and just go a straight 5 hours -- no mop, no foil, no opening the lid to peek (or let out the moisture) and see how they turn out.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
              I think one of these days I'll try a rack on the drum without foil and just go a straight 5 hours -- no mop, no foil, no opening the lid to peek (or let out the moisture) and see how they turn out.

Dave
              When I had to take the lid off to wrap/unwrap the first two slabs I did spray the unfoiled slab with cherry juice. I figured since I had the lid off anyway I might as well.
              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                When I had to take the lid off to wrap/unwrap the first two slabs I did spray the unfoiled slab with cherry juice. I figured since I had the lid off anyway I might as well.
                Makes sense since you're opening it up anyway. And I don't know how practical my "5 hour straight" routine would be -- especially since most of the time there are other things cooking with them. It stands to reason though that unfoiled would not be as moist as foiled regardles of what you were cooking them in because you skip the braising. So I guess it is just a question of is unfoiled moist enough as a personal preference.

But I'm with you -- it would be nice to just skip that step from time to time. Sometimes it's nice to just kick back, watch the thin blue float on the breeze and enjoy the aromas without having to worry about foiling and such.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Those look mighty good, wrapped or not I would have no problem putting a couple of them on my plate!! Nice work!
                  www.nopigleftbehind.com
                  -----------------------------

Comment

Great job on the ribs and thanks for the info on the experiment. They both look and sound excellent to me
                    Pete
                    Large BGE
                    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

They all look very good to me! Just a beautiful smoke
                      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Nice experiment!! Nice ribs also
                        Keith

Comment

Nice run Adam....both look great ta me!!
                          Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                          http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X