• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Smoked St Alberts White cheddar

dry maple all kindle'd up

got some of it going in the wood stove

filling up my cold smoke generator

this was started around 10 am

it was 2:00 pm when I filled it with more kindling and Tam and I left town for "date day / night" a little window shopping, she found a few books at the second hand shop, fairly good dinner at Casey's Bar and Grill,,,,, except that the cook / chef don't know what MEDIUM means when cooking a steak, Tam ordered a 12oz sirloin, and it came to her bleading, PERFECT for me, but not her... second time, came back bleeding, third time,,, CAME BACK BLEEDING! by this time I was almost done my meal, and she was pissed, she ate half of it, and I ate the rest, waiter took the 26 dollar meal off the bill....
    Then we went to see the new movie Lincon... VERY GOOD MOVIE!!!
    now back to our regularly schedualed program
    Cheese was taken out of the smoker at 11:30 pm, I have no Ideal how long the wood lasted, but it seems to have worked out perfect, Now to Vacuum seal the chunk and let it "Cure" in the fridge for bit before slicing it all up

www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Good looking hunk o smoked cheddar
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

with a chunk that big, you're going to have to leave ita couple of weeks for the smoke to permeate the whole block - if it will.

I always slice the cheese into around 4-6 oz chunks. More surface area for smoke and less time in the fridge for smoke to permeate the whole block.

I do like the 'cold' smoke generator though
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          with a chunk that big, you're going to have to leave ita couple of weeks for the smoke to permeate the whole block - if it will.

I always slice the cheese into around 4-6 oz chunks. More surface area for smoke and less time in the fridge for smoke to permeate the whole block.

I do like the 'cold' smoke generator though
          thats why it got a very long smoke... I wanted to keep it whole like this so when I put it on my slicer I have one piece large slices for burgers :)
          gona Vac Pack it and away in the fridge it goes

sigpic

Comment

I bet that was good .... I prolly would have "tested" half of it before vac packing
            sigpic

Comment

Lol you owe me a new iPhone the amount if drool that landed in it from your pics lol looks good man

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                I bet that was good .... I prolly would have "tested" half of it before vac packing
                I definatley had a slice...

Originally posted by mackbrad View Post
                Lol you owe me a new iPhone the amount if drool that landed in it from your pics lol looks good man
                I'll tell ya the same thing I told my daughter when it comes to these expensive electronics... "I hold no responsibility for your actions"

sigpic

Comment

its been 8 days my big old hunk of cheddar has been in the fridge vac packed after a long smoke... So i opened it up today, (ohhhh it smelled good!!) cut a slice deep enough away from the edge, and it has a very nice smokey flavor right through!! This is the first time I smoked such a large chunk, so I am impressed with how it turned out
                  Just had to have a Grilled cheese with a thick slice for lunch

sigpic

Comment

Fried green tomato, slice of that cheese! Bacon, Lettuce! Slap that all up in a bun or bread!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Killer grilled cheese!!!
                      Where to Shop -
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                      https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by TATONKA3A2 View Post
                        Killer grilled cheese!!!
                        X2
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice looking chunk of cheese and grilled cheese sandwich. Makes me hungry.

HK91
                          Last edited by HK91; 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

That St Alberts cheddar might be a collectors item. I heard the plant had a fire a week or 2 back. Gonna put a damper on poutine until they get rebuilt.....
                            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

They found a building in Quebec and have been cranking out cheese until they can re-build in St. Albert
                              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X