Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the west coasters Foster Farms Chicken

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind..._more_business

Thanks Gman! I eat allot of Chicken so I will stay away from Foster Farms until they get things sorted out.
    Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
    Yoder Wichita
    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Hmmm..... Thanks Gman..... I will add some interesting thoughts from out part thyme member Harry Soo

http://thebbqcentralshow.com/harry-soos-chicken-method/
      sigpic

Comment

I live in California and I almost always only cook Foster Farms Chickens. Read the article and it leaves too many questions unanswered! Everyone either knows or should know the dangers of handling raw chicken, not cooking to temp, etc. All the article says is " ... a series of salmonella cases linked to Foster Farms ... ". It doesn't give any details on any of those cases.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I do not and have never worked for Forster Farms. Do not own their stock, etc. All I do is buy my Foster Farms Chickens from Costco. At my old age I sometimes get tired of the "Main Street Media" and public health organizations throwing out accusations without backing them up with facts.

USDA officials in October contacted Foster Farms about the salmonella outbreak in Oregon and Washington, O'Connor said. The company reviewed its sanitation procedures. He said 43 recent tests on its chicken products did not turn up salmonella. "Our performance is and has been excellent," he said.

Did the salmonella cases follow proper procedures when handling raw chicken? Did they wash their hands thoroughly before and after handling the chicken? Did they clean all food preparation surfaces and utensils after they came in contact with raw poultry? Did they cook the poultry to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit for the breast meat and 180 for the legs and thighs?

We eat Foster Farms chicken at least twice a week and will continue! Besides, the second sentence in the article states " ... Oregon Public Health confirmed 43 illnesses tied to the company's products in 2012 ... " It does not state that there are issues right now.

OK. Time to get off my soap box and go back to my corner and smoke me some Foster Farms Chickens

sigpic MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker, Char-Broil SRG, Camp Chef 3 Burner
        http://www.smokinpetebbq.com

Comment

I just ate FF chicken for dinner the last two nights. We eat a lot of it, probably 3 or 4 times a week. Still kicking here.

I think they put it best in the article
          "This is raw poultry. Raw poultry by its nature can contain bacteria. It's of utmost importance that people handle it properly in the kitchen and they cook it to the proper temperature."
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Basically just an FYI post. I cook chicken too 165° and never had any problems. I've also never had problems. But again threw it out there so we could be informed.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
              Basically just an FYI post. I cook chicken too 165° and never had any problems. I've also never had problems. But again threw it out there so we could be informed.
              Thanks for the FYI gmotoman. It never hurts to be reminded that we all need to be safe when handling raw meat

My intend was not to rag you in any way ...
              sigpic MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker, Char-Broil SRG, Camp Chef 3 Burner
              http://www.smokinpetebbq.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Hmmm..... Thanks Gman..... I will add some interesting thoughts from out part thyme member Harry Soo

http://thebbqcentralshow.com/harry-soos-chicken-method/
                Is Harry stating 145 on chicken? What temp for safe Gator?
                Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita
                Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by smoker pete View Post
                  Thanks for the FYI gmotoman. It never hurts to be reminded that we all need to be safe when handling raw meat

My intend was not to rag you in any way ...
                  Same here gman. Wasn't raggin' on you, and thanks for putting it out there. The more informed we are the better. If I was raggin' on anyone it'd be the news reports stretching for "news" to fill the airwaves with.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                    Some interesting comments in that article I thought. Not sure on Gator.... Gotta check me Gator cookbook
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                      Gator safe cook temps. 160-165°. As in period. Chickin is 165°. as in period. Gators no gots the salmonella thingie, but other thingies. Parasites an such chit.
                      Jus Cook dat chit!
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        Some interesting comments in that article I thought. Not sure on Gator.... Gotta check me Gator cookbook
                        Yo gator cookbook only gots football init! No temp reading there!
                        If I read it correctly, Harry is telling someone that he cooks the chicken to 145°, then holds them for ten minutes - not five. That is a bug difference. If wrapped or sealed properly, much more likely to reach 165°. In fact very likely at ten minutes. Kind of a standard.
                        Last edited by Mark R; 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                        X