Smokerdeans Lemons, my Limoncello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokerdeans Lemons, my Limoncello

One mans PITA can be another's good fortune. Smokerdean's tree was dropping lemons all over the place and he was good enough to hook me up with a med. flat rate box full, just enough to make a batch of limoncello. Got them zested and steeping this morning. If you've never tried it, and like lemon, you need to. A great refreshing liqueur on a hot summer day, or a great reminder that summer will return on a cold winter night. To get going wash about 24 med sized lemons well, zest with SHARP veg peeler. You want to just get the zest, no pith. The lemon should still appear yellow when done, and the zest peels nearly translucent. Some of these lemons got a bit dinged by the cold snap they had, so try avoid any woody, or mushy areas. These and the pith will produce a bitter flavor. Then allow the zest to steep in 190 proof Everclear. The 150 proof will work, as will vodka, but I prefer this as I store my bottle in use in the freezer, and it doesn't freeze or turn slushy, just gets like a syrup. I will let these steep for 30 days, 14 will work, but I have the time. Then I will mix with a simple syrup and bottle. More on that later.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Got a bottle in the fridge.
    Not so keen on the neat lemencello - but the crema de lemoncello, doesn't lat long round here :-)

Made some creme de menthe recently.
    Amazing how easy these expensive liquers are to make
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

What do you do to get the crema de limoncello? Is it as simple as adding cream or half and half. I would be afraid of a curdling effect from the acid and the fat, but that must not happen. You intrigued me.
      sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah fresh lemon cello!! That is good stuff!! FIL make it.. I drink it in Aug to stay sane while visiting!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I like it! Good stuff...need to find my grannies recipe. She also cut it with some tea....Man as a kid we fought over that pitcher!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
            I will let these steep for 30 days, 14 will work, but I have the time. Then I will mix with a simple syrup and bottle. More on that later.
            Hey Mule, mines still in the everclear. Think I'm going on 400 days???
            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
              Hey Mule, mines still in the everclear. Think I'm going on 400 days???
              I think it's time
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X