Drying Out Wood For Smoking..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying Out Wood For Smoking..........

Neighbor cut down his apple tree & offered it to me for smoking wood. He cut it into rounds aboot 6-7" tall (a lil taller than I would have liked, but I aint complainin ). I snagged them a couple of weeks ago & just got to splitting some of it up today to start drying. Most of what I split is aboot 2-3" wide chunks. Got them in 2 old plastic milk crates that were used to haul milk in the old days drying in the shop. They are ventilated on all sides & top & bottom. I was thinking maybe every month or so moving them around in the crates. Any Ideas how long this will take to dry out for cooking I got a pretty good stash of excellent quality Oregon Apple that CH sent me, so in no hurry.
    sigpic

I try to let "green" wood sit at least 6 months.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Can you get them inside out of that dang humid wet weather you have out there? This will help speed things up!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        That's what I was thinking. I split up some Cherry in pretty small chunks in August & it was dry enough to cook with in about 3-4 months. The Apple chunks are bigger, so I'm thinking 6 or so also

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        Can you get them inside out of that dang humid wet weather you have out there? This will help speed things up!
        Yes, they are inside the shop, nice & dry & happy
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          That's what I was thinking. I split up some Cherry in pretty small chunks in August & it was dry enough to cook with in about 3-4 months. The Apple chunks are bigger, so I'm thinking 6 or so also

Yes, they are inside the shop, nice & dry & happy
          you can always toss them in the oven if you want to speed the process along... just not tooo hot..or it will be smoken!! Maybe while you are cooking a frozen pizza...
          Brian

Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Be ready by my birthday...cook me something!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Be ready by my birthday...cook me something!
              And I do believe that is 50 correct
              sigpic

Comment

Easy...
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I wonder what we all could get Rich for his birthday.... Are you out of green beans yet....

Now back to drying out some apple....
                  Brian

Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Knowed where ya got it & bugs...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                      Knowed where ya got it & bugs...
                      Tree looked good, just quit producing..... So, WHACK! ..... He also gave me some Elk summer sausage he had did up.... Lasted aboot 1 day here ..... Seems like folks just know when you sitting on Elk sausage
                      sigpic

Comment

Man - you guys are rough....
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Neighbor cut down his apple tree & offered it to me for smoking wood. He cut it into rounds aboot 6-7" tall (a lil taller than I would have liked, but I aint complainin ). I snagged them a couple of weeks ago & just got to splitting some of it up today to start drying. Most of what I split is aboot 2-3" wide chunks. Got them in 2 old plastic milk crates that were used to haul milk in the old days drying in the shop. They are ventilated on all sides & top & bottom. I was thinking maybe every month or so moving them around in the crates. Any Ideas how long this will take to dry out for cooking I got a pretty good stash of excellent quality Oregon Apple that CH sent me, so in no hurry.
                            Ship it down here to the desert & it will only take aboot a week & a half.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              I agree with Mark. Give or take a month. You're going to love that apple...
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X