Two questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions

I've been lurking, reading and learning from this forum a little bit lately and I'm now in need of some help.

I recently bought an 18" Camp Chef Smoke Vault and I've noticed 2 things.

1. I can't seem to get the temperature below 225* I'd like to get it lower than that to make some jerky but after following several ideas from here, no luck. Suggestions?

2. I've noticed that no matter what temp I seem to have a lot of orange flame going on. This picture is of it on the lowest setting and it still seems like it's too orange. Suggestions?

I'm starting to suspect both issues may be related.

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!

I cant help ya but those that can will be along shortly!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

hey, Glad you joined.

I think Tas has a camp chef, or did.....
      New Braunfels Black Diamond
      18.5" WSM
      Weber Performer Deluxe Black
      18.5 Weber Kettle
      22.5 Weber Kettle
      Maverick ET732
      6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!

I cant help ya but those that can will be along shortly!!
        I actually have some elk steaks smoking right now!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Comment

Welcome Nathan.. For lower temps did you install a needle valve past your gas regulator..??

Also orange or yellow flames occur if there is too much gas and not enough air being added to the flame. Only some of the gas ignites, and the rest is wasted. Generally, this happens for one of two reasons: either the air shutter is too small, or it has been blocked by some foreign substance or the burner orifice, either due to damage or a manufacturing problem in that the air shutter may be too large.
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I haven't tried the need valve yet. That was going to be the next step I took. I suspect though that the thermometer that's on the door may be off.

I have all 3 air shutters (2 lower 1 top) wide open. I do notice that it will turn more blue when I open the door though.
            Last edited by Nathan; 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Welcome Nate! T-H has it covered...get an air compressor and blow out the "throat" right thru the burner. Now... that condition would not cause too high temps... it would cause too low. Gassers are not known for their low temp abilities. You have to keep SOME flame...or they are prone to going out. Needle valve will help, tho... altho it looks likeyou have a pretty low flame in that pict.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                I haven't tried the need valve yet. That was going to be the next step I took. I have all 3 air shutters (2 lower 1 top) wide open. I do notice that it will turn more blue when I open the door though.
                Yep..I bet the "intake manifold"" is blocked with ash or something...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Welcome,Nathan ~

I have a little chief, which is an electric, and a Camp Chef Dutch oven, but no propane smoker. Sounds like TH has it covered!
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                  Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Yep..I bet the "intake manifold"" is blocked with ash or something...
                    OK, I'll see if I can't get it blown out. I had the flame set all the way to low in that picture. Still doesn't seem to get below 225* I suspect though that the thermometer that's on the door may be off.

Comment

OK, I'll see if I can't get it blown out. I had the flame set all the way to low in that picture. Still doesn't seem to get below 225* I suspect though that the thermometer that's on the door may be off.
                      Never trust those factory thermos... get a Tel-Tru... http://usbbqsupply.com

Comment

What's your thoughts on a Maverick ET732. Kill 2 birds with one stone and monitor meat temps better also?

Comment

Get on the 732.. You cannot go wrong... Well.. Yes you can.. Do not submerse the probes in water..
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

from Utah
                            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                            Weber 22.5" WSM
                            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            Pit Barrel Cooker
                            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                            The Vortex

Comment

What's your thoughts on a Maverick ET732. Kill 2 birds with one stone and monitor meat temps better also?
                              Next to my smokers, they're the best thing I ever bought. The remote is awesome.
                              New Braunfels Black Diamond
                              18.5" WSM
                              Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                              18.5 Weber Kettle
                              22.5 Weber Kettle
                              Maverick ET732
                              6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X