X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever tried...

Squirrel Soup??

This recipe is from the White House Cookbook, first edition 1894

"Wash and quarter three or four good-sized squirrels, put them on with a small tablespoonful of salt, directly after breakfast, in a gallon of cold water. Cover the pot close, and set it on the back part of the stove to simmer gently, not boil. Add vegetables just the same as you do in case of other meat soups in the summer season, but especially good will you find corn, Irish potatoes, tomatoes and lima beans. Strain the soup through a coarse colander when the meat has boiled to shreds, so as to get rid of the squirrels' troublesome little bones. Then return to the pot, and after boiling a while longer, thicken with a piece of butter rubbed in flour. Celery and parsley leaves chopped up are also considered an improvement by many. Toast two slices of bread, cut them into the dice one-hald inch square, fry them in butter, put them into the bottom of your tureen, and then pour the soup boiling hot upon them. Very good."

I don't think this is one of the recipes they are eating now a days in the White House, but I thought the verbage and everything was fun, so I thought I would share!
    I might leave this recipe out the next time I make soup... lol!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

lol - hell no.
    Sure you can eat squirrel - but rabbits are bigger and easier to hit lol
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That dont look to bad... Im game.. When I do get a few tree rats, I like making this recipe..

Tree Rat & Dumplings

2 Squirrels
      2 Bay leaves
      1 cup Sliced onion
      1 cup Chopped celery
      10 mediums Carrots; quartered
      2 teaspoons Salt
      ½ teaspoon Pepper
      1½ cup Hot water
      2 cups Flour
      ½ teaspoon Salt
      4 teaspoons Baking powder
      ¾ cup Milk
      Makes about 4 servings.

Cut 2 squirrels into serving pieces. Place in a kettle and cover with 1 inch of water. Add 2 bay leaves and simmer for 1-1/4 hours, skimming as necessary. Add onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1-1/2 cups hot water and cook 15 minutes longer. Add dumplings. To make dumplings, mix dry ingredients and gradually add milk. Turn dough onto a floured board, roll to 1/2 inch thickness and cut in 3 inch squares. Place on top of ingredients in kettle, cover tightly, and cook 15 minutes.
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I've had squirrel gravy over mashed taters, sounds somewhat similar. Wonder what the White House chef is cooking these days?
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane
        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

were gunna change yer name to mountain wimon..
          well maybe backwoods mamma might be better.

that be hard time fud today.

I have been given the flyin rats a run for their money.
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

That's cool.
            Never brought myself to eat one of them varmits.

I had a College buddy in the Frat house and he'd shoot em and cook em up but - I just couldn't.

Pretty cool.
            If they ate it at the White House then it's gotta be good eats.

Comment

Ate lots of them. Dad likes to throw 4 grays or 2 fox squirrels into one of those baking bags along with some potatoes, carrots and onions. Put it into the camper oven. Come back off the deerstands and dinner is ready.

These days I quarter them out and put into the crock with some cream of mushroom or other soup until they fall apart. I still like the baking bag method. I took leftovers from that once and made a gumbo with it. Served it to company too. Never had a clue. Lol.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

We used to make it all the time in college. Throw them in the crock pot with veggies from the cafe, ad water and bullion cubes. Cook all night and talk about a great breakfast!

sigpic
                Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                ECB
                GOSM
                MES for sticks and sausage
                30 yr old Weber Kettle
                Brinkman gasser

Comment

Pops would shoot and eat some sorta squirrel stew when I was a younger boy in Iowa. I would give it a shot.....but here in Cali the gray tree squirrel is off limits in many counties for they harbor the bubonic plague. No bull
                  But hell I would try any fare twice!
                  Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                  Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
                    Pops would shoot and eat some sorta squirrel stew when I was a younger boy in Iowa. I would give it a shot.....but here in Cali the gray tree squirrel is off limits in many counties for they harbor the bubonic plague. No bull
                    But hell I would try any fare twice!
                    Yes Ry, that was what I was thinking, plus around here they carry that bird flu.. Hell I run from them.. eat em? I say nay nay, I am surprised at how many of you all have had them, and enjoy them to boot! Cabana boy asked what do they taste like? If we ever make a gathering he said "I would try it" .. lol!! just remember that if we are ever in your neck of the woods!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I haven't had squirrel in years. As I recall, it was like rabbit only sweeter meat.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                        I haven't had squirrel in years. As I recall, it was like rabbit only sweeter meat.

True, and a little bit more tough. If I decide to take a day off bird hunting in the fall, I go shoot a few and either make a squirrel soup (just like chicken noodle minus the chicken) or a squirrel pot pie. Pretty good meat, as long as it is cooked until tender, or it's like chewing on a rubber band.

Comment

I'll eat anything with 4 legs, except a table.
                          sigpic

Comment

My mom used to make squirrel pot pie all the time...
                            Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Working...
                            X