I NEED you to comment on this thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I NEED you to comment on this thread

I need thoughts and ideas. I am entering a local contest in two weeks and would appreciate your imput.
    the comp is a summer grill master theme
    two hours to prep and prepare the dish. all entries must be accompanied by a recipe. The 2 meat choices are tri-tip (this is what i will choose) or sirloin.

my ideas:
    chimi churi rolled tri tip
    thinking i will fillet the tri tip to about 1/2- 3/4 in thick generously rub the cut side with chimi churi roll it up, tie it up and sear on an extreemly hot fire. then put it on the coolest spot on my smokrer and smoke with oak (i am thinking smoke verry low 190-200 so not to over cook) just to add flavor. traditional santa maria is rubbed verry simply (salt, season salt, pepper, garlic) and then grilled over a strait red oak fire

please comment on recipe or method. ALL comments, tips or NEW IDEAS are wanted and appreciated.
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Well first of all you can't lose...lookie who's on the Preacher's side!

Other than that... use a heavier smoke..pecan, hickory-even mesquite, altho I don't care for it- as you have a limited time to infuse the smokiness you aim for.

On edit...and I would smoke it FIRST..then finish on the rocket hot grill.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

chimi churi sounds great with a tri..
      We have access to tri tip a lot around here, I know that on the smoker they are so fast, I have mucked up a couple cuz they just smoke so quick.
      The last one that I did that everyone liked I injected with coffee, rubbed the outside with the java rub and smoked for about 2.5 / 3 hours until internal was about 135*...
      Your idea sounds great! OH and good luck!!! You would look great in that lavender shirt at the pit too!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

i never thought of searing last. tell me more do you think it will allow for more smoke penitration

BTW bbq goddess thanks for noticing i always wanted to be the good looking preacher
        Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

The last one that I did that everyone liked I injected with coffee, rubbed the outside with the java rub and smoked for about 2.5 / 3 hours until internal was about 135*...
          And she says she can't write a cook book lol

Can't help much with the recipe - I tend towards marinades rather than rubs and beef isnt often on the menu.
          But sear last works.

My only thought would be - a rolled seasoned piece of beef is a little simple for a comp, and beef by itself tend to be a little dry.
          I'd maybe think about stuffing the beef with something, a good blue cheese always works with beef. Stilton is perfect if you can get it.
          Or maybe some form of pate.
          A cream cheese and smoked mackerel pate with a dash of lime(take seconds to make) would work quit well with the chimichuri.
          Just something to give it a bit of moisture and set off the texture of the beef.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

thanks CA i am a big fan of blue cheese maby some type of blue cream sauce for on top. this was actually roling around in the back of my head glad you mentioned it

Comment

just checking in to see if there are any more ideas

Comment

Do you have a link to the rules??
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

[QUOTE=Richtee;36693]Well first of all you can't lose...lookie who's on the Preacher's side!

[QUOTE=Bbqgoddess;36695]

Your idea sounds great! OH and good luck!!! You would look great in that lavender shirt at the pit too!!

Yeah...He may have an edge, was hoping to get him in some Amp Energy Green Shirt! Get after it Padre....great advice & Ya got a plan!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I'm with Rich...I'd smoke first then sear last.

I've done thick cut steaks like this & it really works well.
                    Chris
                    UDS - Buckeye 1
                    Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
                    GOSM Wide Body
                    Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
                    2 Dutch Ovens
                    Cabelas Grinder
                    Cabelas Jerky Blaster
                    Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
                    Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

first prob

sooo i just got back from sams and i have 15 pounds of tri tip. any way i started filleting and when you get it layed out flat the mussel fibers run in different directions. i did a little trim job and may get away withit. i fired up the smoker and will try the smoke first sear latter method. i will get some pics in a little while

keep the imput comming

i also used a jiccard (the stabber thingie)
                      Last edited by PreacherRodgers; 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

OK No link I guess.. Is it a dish you need to make or just one item?
                        Ken

Comment

T.H. hopefully twice, once home town once regional
                          The rules are in the wifes van so i will post them later
                          basicly they provide the meat i provide everything else 2 hours to prepare and the recipee must be turned in before you start

Comment

The reason I ask is, what can you use and can not... What can be made in advance or can you not do this...
                            Ken

Comment

In my experience with the tris...I have only had to smoke for 2.5 to 3 hrs also. Over mesquite. But I did sear first. Like Kel said it came off in the 140* area for me. Good luck and have a ball!
                              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X