Cast iron care question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron care question

I have 2 wonderful CI pans, and a great 5 quart CI dutch oven. I have no problems with the pans. I am however, having trouble keeping rust out of the dutch oven. I only use this in my kitchen. After cooking with it I clean it well(kosher salt/water/scrub brush). I then re-season it by spraying canola oil in it and wiping it down with a paper towel. Yet i still get rust that have to clean out before the next use. Only use it about 3-4 X a month. Do need to season it more between uses?

The Kosher Salt is probably the culprit. Salt, and iron don't mix well. Everything else looks good.
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I know what you are saying.. I have had this with one of mine years ago.. First I really did a chitty job of seasoning.. Second when I used the DO I cooked acidic foods, (Chili w/tomatoes, stews) Did a simple oil down as you have and it really never worked as well as I hoped..

Since I stripped it back down.. Did a good seasoning, use it to fry every now and then (fish & taters) I no longer cook high acidic soups, stews, chilis.. It has been a great kitchen tool.. The more you use it the better it gets..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Another trick is to store it with a crumpled up paper towel in it to absorb moisture and fold up a couple more and hang them over the edge so the lid doesn't sit tight, or store the lid separately. Air circulation in there will help.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Thanks dudes. am guilty of what T-H said. Lots of tomato based cooks. Also just did what PitR suggested. 'll get er nailed down thanks for the help.

Comment

Tom - I had exactly the same problem until I followed this advice, which I now use for all of my cast iron:

My clean-up routine for my plain cast iron pans is to always use plenty of hot water and only ever use soap or an abrasive pad if absolutely necessary (and it almost never is.) Shake off the water and then put the pan on the stove over high heat until any remaining water drops have boiled away and the pan even starts to smoke a little. Then if it looks like it needs it, I coat lightly with oil or cooking spray while the pan is still hot and put it away when it has cooled.

Water and oxygen can penetrate the black carbon build-up on your pans, so if you leave any moisture to get trapped under the oil in the "pores" of the pan's surface, then it can lead to rusting under the carbon that you often can't see, and can even lead to the pan's surface flaking off (which can also happen in a different way from over-seasoning and developing too thick of a coating.) By always heating up my pans to smoking hot before putting them away, I know that I have driven off all the moisture than might otherwise cause rust.

For similar reasons, never leave your cast iron to soak with water in it.
            Started doing this, and haven't had any issues since. This, plus the other tips mentioned above, will take care of the problem.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

All excellent points. I think it's OK to cook acidic foods, just don't let them sit in the cast iron too long. It eats away the seasoning. And as Tas said, be sure that the pan is completely dry before oiling.
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                Tom - I had exactly the same problem until I followed this advice, which I now use for all of my cast iron:

Started doing this, and haven't had any issues since. This, plus the other tips mentioned above, will take care of the problem.
                Thats how my pop taught me to do it, and My DO's have stayed seasoned, no rust and are always ready to go. I always put a folded up paper towell in there to absorb any moisture when storing it. Not sure it does any good, but I do it nonetheless.
                New Braunfels Black Diamond
                18.5" WSM
                Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                18.5 Weber Kettle
                22.5 Weber Kettle
                Maverick ET732
                6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrZip66 View Post
                  I always put a folded up paper towell in there to absorb any moisture when storing it. Not sure it does any good, but I do it nonetheless.
                  Trust me...that DOES help! Don't ask how I know.
                  Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

only ever use soap or an abrasive pad
                    Everybody at my house knows they are in for a real tongue lashing if they are caught using soap on cast iron.

For me, unless there is something really crusted or caked in there I lose the water. I know everyone says never use steel wool, and I agree. However a plastic or copper chore boy works very well to loosen most stuff, and is not abrasive. Wipe with paper towel. Put on the heat and when warm, burnish with a mixture of kosher salt and vegetable oil. Wipe out and coat with a light coat of whatever oil you like. The heat, beside driving off water is also your disinfectant.
                    A few of my favorite things:
                    Good Whiskey
                    Good Food
                    Bad Girls
                    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                    Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

SI - I caught that, too - I never use soap, and have always been ablt to get everything off just by scraping a bit with a wooden spatula. Actually, I almost always deglaze when cooking anyway, so usually there's nothing left to scrape.
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

all I can add is I like to use a little bacon grease instead of oil it seams the pan absorb it better
                        sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                        members mark upright propane smoker
                        kingsford bbq
                        23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                          all I can add is I like to use a little bacon grease instead of oil it seams the pan absorb it better
                          I started keeping a jar of bacon grease in my fridge the past few months to use in my cast iron fry pans. Sure gives the food a nice flavor.
                          Propane Smoke Shack
                          UDS
                          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                            I started keeping a jar of bacon grease in my fridge the past few months to use in my cast iron fry pans. Sure gives the food a nice flavor.
                            Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Tom--- do you store the DO with the lid on or off? Correct me if I am wrong , but isn't it recommended CI with the lid off?
                              -Modified Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
                              -22.5" Blue Weber Gold w/ weber side table
                              -18.5" '69 daisy wheel Weber redhead restored
                              -Smokey Joe Silver x 2 --- one turned Mini WSM
                              -Coleman road trip grill
                              -Charbroil performance gasser
                              -Maveric ET-732
                              -CI: Le Creuset#23, Wagner#3, Wagner square skillet, lodge#8, wagner #9 griddle, griswold #9 slant griddle, griswold #10 block skillet, griswold #5 small, griswold #7 slant skillet w/ heat ring, griswold #8 block with self basting lid

Comment

Working...
                              X