Dutch Oven Dome Potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Oven Dome Potatoes

First testing of my new Camp Chef Dutch Oven Dome to develop recipes to take on the road and use at home during those dog days of summer when you want to keep the house cool and not turn the oven on. Overall the Dutch Oven Dome test was an unqualified success ... as you can tell by the above photo ... Cheesy taters were delicious!

The concept of the Dutch Oven Dome is to divert, trap, and circulate heat to create a convection oven for your cast iron outdoors. A Heat Diffuser is used for effective heat distribution and a Trivet was used to help prevent burning the food. I clipped a Maverick ET-732 ambient probe to measure the temperature inside the dome.

Ingredients: Sliced potatoes with skin, onion, butter, cheese, seasonings, and 2 cups 2% milk. Measured temperature at the top of the dome ranged from 380º-405ºF. There was enough wind to prevent me from using the low setting on the burner. Used Medium-Low.

You'll note inside the Dutch Oven looks like a total mess and at first I thought I had ruined the potatoes. They actually turned out extremely moist, tender, and as I said before ... delicious!! Pot is soaking ...

I sprayed the Dutch Oven with PAM but I'm thinking that wasn't the problem. Do you think the burnt sides and bottom were caused by the milk boiling? Don't want to keep cleaning such a mess ... More tests to come
    sigpic MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker, Char-Broil SRG, Camp Chef 3 Burner
    http://www.smokinpetebbq.com

those look like some gooood taters!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      those look like some gooood taters!!
      What He Said /\ /\
      sigpic

Comment

Looks great!
        Mess is probably from the dairy solids in the cheese and milk. Not much you can do to prevent, but I have had luck with wood ash and water brought to a rolling boil for a few mins on messes like that while camping.
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
          Looks great!
          Mess is probably from the dairy solids in the cheese and milk. Not much you can do to prevent, but I have had luck with wood ash and water brought to a rolling boil for a few mins on messes like that while camping.
          Thanks for the info IrishChef. I'll give it a shot.
          sigpic MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker, Char-Broil SRG, Camp Chef 3 Burner
          http://www.smokinpetebbq.com

Comment

i cant say anything to much going on
            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Not much more to say but. "WOW" Kudos on a perfect picture...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Very nice potatoes. I have seen those domes and wondered if they would be worth it.
                Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

what a great great idea! It's so simple I gotta think it has to work well. Good looking potatoes too.
                  New Braunfels Black Diamond
                  18.5" WSM
                  Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                  18.5 Weber Kettle
                  22.5 Weber Kettle
                  Maverick ET732
                  6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Great looking potatoes!!! As IC said, it is most likely the milk solids and starch that's causing such a mess. I have used parchment paper to make a liner for my DO and it keeps clean up a breeze. They make dutch oven liners, but it's cheaper to use the parchment paper and mold it to your DO. I just tear off one big sheet and form it.

Comment

Working...
                    X