double barrel smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double barrel smoker.

After talking with a few of you on making a homemade barrel or fuel tank smoker. I figured i might wait till fall when i do my welding class for college. figured they would teach me how since i have never welded alick in my life. But i found out today something thats got me going now.
    WE live in a home owners assc. area they have a few things members can use. A kubota tracter, pool boat docks ohh ya a big ass welder. Not hunge but 220 and big enough to weld what ever i will need to.
    So does any one have a writen out plan for building a double barrel smoker. I think i can get a few cheap around here.
    I think jimbobs. If you could give me the measurement and so on jim i would really be in debt to you

Bigtim you can google this and get a bank of info. I did this when I built my over/under barreled smoker. But when you say double are you talking two barrels side by side? Or the over/under? Would you be using a wire feed or stick welder? Many wire feeds are some what "welder-challenged" friendly. I got one done and I am no welder. good luck with your build it will be a blast.
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

over under. I think it is a stick welder.
      Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
      Bigtim you can google this and get a bank of info. I did this when I built my over/under barreled smoker. But when you say double are you talking two barrels side by side? Or the over/under? Would you be using a wire feed or stick welder? Many wire feeds are some what "welder-challenged" friendly. I got one done and I am no welder. good luck with your build it will be a blast.

Comment

Bigtim see if this is any help. this is my over/ under smoker. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpa8p...e=channel_page

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJV0...e=channel_page

They are not drawings but it might help or I just had a thought.....
        here this is where I started....

http://www.compuvices.com/SmallSmokerPictures/
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

thanks that helps alot. just need to find a torch now.
          Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
          Bigtim see if this is any help. this is my over/ under smoker. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpa8p...e=channel_page

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJV0...e=channel_page

They are not drawings but it might help or I just had a thought.....
          here this is where I started....

http://www.compuvices.com/SmallSmokerPictures/

Comment

4" angle grinder with metal cut off blades work wonders and they are cheap. Or when you get your stick welder..some small rod and the welder cranked to the max will burn much like torch. You will just go through rods faster.. The cheapo depot sells a Black 'n Decker 4" grinder for like $40 and the cut off discs are like $2 and something cents. Cause doing the torch thing can be dangerous too if ya don't know about them. The grinder Works wonders with I think finer lines and it is dual purpose. Enjoy
            Ryan

Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

You saw this thread, correct?

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2255

There are lots of ways to build them. You can build them out of scrap without using stove kits or a welder at all, just bolt it all together. Do it, you won't regret it! Email or Pm with any questions; I will try to help as much as I can.

Comment

Then there's this, off the Smoke Rings site! Yowsa!

Comment

I'm just about ready to start on one of these.
                  I don't think I will ever run out of room!

Comment

Well Chrome, mine's only got the single barrel on top, and I have had 110+ pounds of raw meat on the grate, all at once. It does 35-60 pounds with plenty of room. With two barrels, you ought to be able to do a whole hog, no sweat!

The improvements I would make to the pictured Florida design primarily involve the lower frame. See how that wood is sagging? I'd make mine out of welded angle iron, with some decent-sized H-F or wheelbarrow pneumatic tires and a wagon-style handle so I could easily pull it around.

I never was much for wood frames on any fire-breather.

On the other hand, the shelf is an aboslute work of art, and if it was hinged and the chains had hooks, it could be dropped away during cooking for easier access to the meat without reaching over it. That's an idea worth remembering! Again, I would make the shelf out of light or aluminum angle iron and sheet aluminum or stainless, or maybe light expanded metal.

Comment

I believe the shelf is hinged to swing down on that one, the original build thread is here: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19547

I would either do an angle frame on the bottom with wheels, or set it on concrete. That wood base doesn't look very stable.

Comment

that double barrel looks cool. and not much out lay in capital I would imagine.
                        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                          that double barrel looks cool. and not much out lay in capital I would imagine.
                          About $100 for the stove kit, I haven't priced expanded metal for the grates yet. I'm assuming well under $200. I got my barrels for free.

I'm always running out of room on my current smoker, and now everyone wants to know the next time I'm smoking something so I can throw on something for them too.

Comment

thats pretty good chrome for a huge smoker like that.
                            I hear ya about can you through something on for me..lol. why not. it's all about fun and good no great times.
                            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                              thats pretty good chrome for a huge smoker like that.
                              I hear ya about can you through something on for me..lol. why not. it's all about fun and good no great times.
                              As I always tell my wife, "if we're gonna fire it up, might as well fill it up".
                              Plus it's something I really enjoy doing, so it's not like it's a chore.

Comment

Working...
                              X