Grilled pineapple with pesto sauce and ice cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled pineapple with pesto sauce and ice cream

I was going to try Uncle Honky's grilled pineapple the other day with maple syrup, and at the last minute realized all the good maple was gone..

I then came up with this pesto sauce, everyone here loved it I am going to my dads since Tue Night I make dinner for dad, and we are having this for dessert, I do not have the final plated pix, but will post it later...

I make pesto and freeze in ice cube trays as soon as spring hits with all the fresh basil around, so I took half a cube = 1/2 T pesto toss into a small sauce pan (ok fry pan) I don't have the real "sauce" pan..

Over a med heat, I add 1/4 cup milk, 3 T butter, a couple of pinches of turbinado sugar...

heat to a simmer, stir well to combine and dissolve the sugar, then add 2 t custard pudding mix to thicken...

take off heat and let set, stirring occasionally so the top doesn't gel...

The pineapple ~

The pinapple all sliced ready to be brushed with a mix of vegetable oil and lime juice (whisked together)

Pineapple to the little weber, (this is the curly top princess' "smoker")

All grilled cut up, core gone and tossed with half of the pesto sauce ~

Then to the fridge to chill, I reserved the rest of the sauce to reheat a tad and pour over the pineapple and vanilla ice cream...
    I will let ya know how this goes with grandpa...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Holy freakin' moly...you truly are the BBQ Goddess. The big guy above gave you a talent to be matched by few. How do you do it? All B.S. aside...that is the shizniz Kel. Do tell how this one goes with your pops.
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Ry,
      This is the test run for 4th of July, if it doesn't fly back to the drawing board!

Comment

OMG .... this is the kind of stuff I've been missing ... Looks absolutely fabulous, Chef Kel!

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
        Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
        sigpic

Comment

Another grilled pineapple recipe to try, Kelly.

Cut pineapple into 1/8s.

1/2 C. honey
          1 Tablespoon lemon juice
          1 jigger of rum
          1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
          1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

Mix all together and marinade the pineapple sections in a gallon zip lock bag. After the sections have been in the marinade for 4 hours or so, grill just long enough to make nice grill marks while basting with the leftover marinade.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            Another grilled pineapple recipe to try, Kelly.
            Thanks for the recipe it sounds very delcious and I can't wait to try it.. Pineapple is on sale these days and the kids love it we will do this very soon!!

Here is the final pix of the plated dessert, I over heated the sauce and it was a bit to thin and hot as it melted the ice cream very quickly. My sister said it was a dessert you would get in a gourmet restaurant, then handed me her bowl.. lol, my dad said "I don't like pineapple" just me ok?
            The end result is my neighbors loved it, the kids loved it.. so we will have it again... you can pick your friends but you can't.. well you know!

Thanks for peeking! Happy Smokes!

Comment

The Ice Cream w Grilled Pineapple I totally get.
              The pesto thing, however, to me, is like a fish taco.
              WHY would you want that?
              I've never tried fish tacos though. People swear by em and with summer upon us
              I'll give this a whirl.
              I LOVE pesto. I love Pineapple and I guess Ice Cream is OK so why not?

Interesting idea.
              Points for uniqueness.

SKOL
              Vman

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                WHY would you want that?
                I'll give this a whirl.

Interesting idea.
                Points for uniqueness.

SKOL
                Vman
                You are soooo right! right? one day many years ago, my Gourmet magazine showed up, it was the begining of summer, July 2003.. (and damit I can't find the original recipe) in it there was a basic "aqua fresca" recipe.. basically
                Ice in a blender, fresh sqeezed lime juice, prolly 5/6 limes and sugar prolly 2 T... I dont know cuz I cant find the basic recipe.. ARGH, one of the versions was pineapple and basil, so in the summer I make two batches one for the kids.. to the fresca recipe I add in the blender, 1 can of crushed pineapple and the syrup, and about 4/5 large fresh basil leaves pureee in the blender.. I omit the sugar because I add all the syrup from the pineapple, the adult version I use a tad more ice and then add two jiggers of vodka...this basic recipe you can add all kinds of things to like cantalope or watermelion... I will keep searching for the original recipe, anyway, I tried the pineapple and basil cuz it sounded kinda like a "fish taco", and in the end it was so delicious, this is all everyone I know wants to drink during the summer...

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                  WHY would you want that?
                  I'll give this a whirl.

Interesting idea.
                  Points for uniqueness.

SKOL
                  Vman
                  Lol, I thought I was the only one who felt this way about a fish taco. Never had one. I like my fish too much to put in a taco. Don't get it, not happenin'.

Kelly, it looks good but I don't know. Lost me at the pesto part.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Hmm, there's not much pesto. And the grilled pineapple is quite strong.
                    Could be an interesting mix.
                    Just made a big tub of vanilla icecream I'll keep an eye out for cheap pineapples.
                    I can get round the custard pudding mix.

Yeah Another one for the : things to cook when...' list :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Definately unique, but looks like something I would try. Nice work.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

What a great job, unique and it looks great
                        Pete
                        Large BGE
                        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

nummy nums for sure..
                          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
                          X