Weekend Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Jerky

Finally getting around to posting this one. Felt like some Jerky, so Im trying out another Christmas present - Hi Country Jerky season kit. This round is the cracked pepper & garlic - YUM!

Got out me handy Lem Jerky gun, mixed up 3 lbs of ground beef, cure & seasoning mix. Let it sit overnight in the fridge. All layed out on the dehydrator racks.

Ready to go into the smoker for 6 hrs with hickory dust

My home made AMNS loaded with hickory dust

Puffing away

Final product after 6 hrs of cold smoke and about 8 hrs in the dehydrator.

I tried the small 1/2 rack in the dehydrator without smoke to compare. It was pretty good, but adding the hickory smoke helped it out a lot! There was none left by the time the other 3 racks came out of the dehydrator for picture comparison. Cant imagine what happened to it?

I really like the Hi Mountain Jerky mixes so far, although I've only tried these 2. The Hickory mix tasted better to me, but this mix was very good too. Next round will be Cajun, oooohhh yeeeeaaahh.

Thanks for lookin
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

good stuff right there!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks good.. What's a jerky gun

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cavman View Post
        Looks good.. What's a jerky gun
        Hah...it's a kinda stuffer... resembles a large caulking gun. Has a nozzle that forms "ribbons" from the ground meat.

Hi M stuff seems to be pretty solid from I I have heard. I have never used a commercial mix before tho. Might have to try it one day.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ya, the Jerky gun does look like a big caulking gun with differen tips. Mrs. Otis likes the ground beef jerky better than whole muscle because it isnt as hard to tear off with your teeth. I like em both, but am growing more fond of ground beef jerky than whole muscle. One of these days, I'll have to mix up my own spices, but I have a ton of gift mixes from Hi Mtn, Lem & Nesco to use up first.
          Mike
          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Very nice. I have never tasted jerky made from ground beef, gotta try that sometime. Thanks for the post.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Nice job.
              FBJ

WSM
              Med. Spicewine
              Stumps GF223
              KCBS/NEBS Member
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Looks good, need to get on it again
                sigpic

Comment

Love it! Great job Mike!
                  Don

Humphrey's Pint
                  Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                  Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                  Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                  Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                  Anova One Sous Vide
                  AMPS
                  Purple Thermapen
                  Maverick ET-733
                  DigIQ DX2
                  Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

THanks for the kind words, y'all. The jerky is almost gone already!! Dont last long around here.
                    Mike
                    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Hah...it's a kinda stuffer... resembles a large caulking gun. Has a nozzle that forms "ribbons" from the ground meat.

Hi M stuff seems to be pretty solid from I I have heard. I have never used a commercial mix before tho. Might have to try it one day.
                      It's a modified caulking gun. Hehe. Works great. Son has a plastic version, I've got the Gander Mountain one. Really should try it.

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                      Ya, the Jerky gun does look like a big caulking gun with differen tips. Mrs. Otis likes the ground beef jerky better than whole muscle because it isnt as hard to tear off with your teeth. I like em both, but am growing more fond of ground beef jerky than whole muscle. One of these days, I'll have to mix up my own spices, but I have a ton of gift mixes from Hi Mtn, Lem & Nesco to use up first.
                      Nice job on the jerky. Like the pre-smoke idea. The cracked pepper and garlic is awesome, btw. Love the whole meat jerky, but heck on the teeth. Have gotten into the ground more these days.

I've got a ton of recipes as well, but keep finding the pre-made mixes on clearance and nab them for about a fourth of the normal price. It's too easy. Most of my family and I have the round dehydrators. We've switched to the tube and make sticks. Start in the inside and make a big spiral. Can fit a whole pound on one rack. Snip them with a scissors when dried. The sticks dry faster and no one cares that they're curved. They just disappear. LOl. You could do the same on your racks.

Giving you some ideas for the future. Please don't take it as criticism. I'm still trying to find a way to use my 5 lbs. stuffer, snack stick tube and a lazy susan to speed up the process.
                      Last edited by RowdyRay; 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Thanks Ray,
                        I've tried the round tube and made snack sticks b4, works pretty good too. Amazing how they never last, huh?
                        Mike
                        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Working...
                        X