Where did I go wrong, or did I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did I go wrong, or did I?

I've had this Griswold 12" pan for years and it's always served me well. Cleaned it out with oil and kosher salt whenever I used it and never seemed to have had a problem. Then it started sticking a little in one spot of the pan. No big deal I just worked around it. Then my son took it on a fishing trip to fry some fish in it and brought it back pretty crusty.

I cleaned it up and used it again for the first time last week. Just sauteed up some peppers and onions for fajitas. Well the sticking issue was getting to be a pain in the ass. Figuring it lost it's seasoning I thought I'd try to re season it. Not being real familiar using the ci I watched a couple of you tubes and did this.

Cleaned it up in hot water first scraping off all the food bits stuck to the pan. Used kosher salt and apple cider vinegar to grit out as much as I could get. Rinsed again in hot water then throughly dried the pan on top of burner on stove.

Coated the pan with Crisco and threw it in the oven at 400 for a hour. Took it out to let it cool down and it looked like this.

Ok. That don't look good to me. So I fried up a pound of bacon it. Bacon didn't really stick but sure left alot of debris stuck to the bottom of the pan.
    So when bacon was done I poured the grease in a jar and wiped with a paper towel. Rinsed the pan in hot water and scraped alot of the gunk out. Put the pan back on the burner and deglazed with more water. Dried the pan throughly and put some more Crisco in while it was still warm. Here is what it looks like now.

So am I alright here and just keep using it and it will get better but I know things are still going to stick. Or do I need to reseason all over again with a different method.

Thanks for any input.
    G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

400° for an hour is not long enough IMO.. Plus I always allow the pan to cool slowly with the over after I turn it off.. Did you turn the pan upside down in the over when seasoning it?? That will leave the blotches in the pan..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Looks like you are on the right track with getting it back to normal. I would think that your son might have used the wrong oil when frying at campsite. Just guessing.
      MES 30"
      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
      Weber 22" kettle
      E-Z-Que rotisserie
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Big Weber Gasser
      Cracker Smoker
      UDS

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        400° for an hour is not long enough IMO.. Plus I always allow the pan to cool slowly with the over after I turn it off.. Did you turn the pan upside down in the over when seasoning it?? That will leave the blotches in the pan..
        Yes sir that's what I did turned it upside down. Would you reccommend reseasoning it/ And what method would you suggest Ken?
        Thanks for the replys!

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
          Yes sir that's what I did turned it upside down. Would you reccommend reseasoning it/ And what method would you suggest Ken?
          Thanks for the replys!
          Yes, clean off the sticky blotches and re-coat and re-season...
          Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
            Yes, clean off the sticky blotches and re-coat and re-season...
            Thanks. At what temp and for how long this time?

Comment

400 - 450 should be fine... Light coat of oil, place in oven for about a hour to hour and half... Turn off oven and let cool naturally before you remove it.. This means till you can grab it without a mit on..
              Ken

Comment

I think (400°) that's to hot, You will burn the Crisco!
                According to my Mothers instructions, 300° for four to six hours. Top side up. Crisco only (or bacon fat), no vegetable oil EVER!
                Ya wanna argue with me Mother?
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  According to my Mothers instructions, 300° for four to six hours. Top side up. Crisco only (or bacon fat), no vegetable oil EVER!

I have seen these temps and time before, Can't really remember what my grandmother did... Hell they were always perfect..

The last one I did at low temps for a long season turned out tacky on the outside and inside

Or the way may folks do now days.. Keep cooking fatty items or fry in it a lot and it will season as well..
                  Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    The temps to season at seem to be all over the place from what I have been reading and YouTubing. Anywhere from 275 to 450. The Crisco was gummy and sticky when I pulled it out of the oven. Do I strip the pan with Dawn dish soap now before another attempt?

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                      The temps to season at seem to be all over the place from what I have been reading and YouTubing. Anywhere from 275 to 450. The Crisco was gummy and sticky when I pulled it out of the oven. Do I strip the pan with Dawn dish soap now before another attempt?

You can.. Be sure its dry before you add the oil to it.. Remember it does not havee to be dripping off of the pan.. Nice light coat..
                      Ken

Comment

Heres a high temp CI Seasoning the RR did some time back...

Ken

Comment

Oh, I fergot - that kosher salt thing,
                          Cleaned it out with oil and kosher salt
                          Salt is made of sodium and chlorine. It is very corrosive! Loose the salt part of your cleaning/curing process! That caused your problem!
                          Hot water only! No Salt!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Comment

Now I may get my ass waxed for saying this...That pic of your pan according to me FIL needs to be filled with table salt...stuck in the oven till it absorbs & turns brown....cool to touch...dump that salt...wash...no detergent...then re-season...have done this on some yard sale CI & it works for me...
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X