I couldn't do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't do it.

OK soo big party coming up. Trying to maximize food per buck. Some folks heard about my ribs. OK..fine..I'll do 3 slabs, got 'em for $1.50 lb.

Soo..gonna trim 'em a bit an leave the tips... ahhh...yeah...ummm...geez! I just can't DO IT. Damn. Just went to 3.50 Lb. Ah well. They ain't right with the tips on... St Looie rules!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

your so right Rich, I didn't trim my last ribs and they just wern't right at all.

It's worth the extra work.
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

3.50 for st louis...2.99 for backs...hmmmmm

Yeah, thats why I do backs...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        3.50 for st louis...2.99 for backs...hmmmmm

Yeah, thats why I do backs...
        Oh yeah... I like em better too...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

3.99 for backs here. With less meat. And I WILL smoke the tips. Just seperate. Prolly end up in some beans or kraut.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            3.99 for backs here. With less meat. And I WILL smoke the tips. Just seperate. Prolly end up in some beans or kraut.
            Split pea soup....Best Ive ever had...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Split pea soup....Best Ive ever had...
              Yeah if I could only get the family to eat it..or bean. Sigh.

Comment

I just ordered a case of spares today @ 1.49 from a small grocery in armada, but I see krogers has them for 1.48. The case weighs 36 pounds with 6 double packs =ing 12. the daughter next store works in the butcher shop so I will be trying to get my smoke in the door. I have been using all my tips for sausage the last couple times.......good stuff.

Comment

St. Louis for sure! That's the only way in my book, and I use the trimmings for sausage/ground pork.

Around here, the best I can do on a regular basis is $1.79/lb for spares, and every once in awhile, $1.50 on sale. Baby backs are $3.99/lb... I don't get what the attraction is... there's no meat on them thar bones!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Oh yeah... I like em better too...
                    Me too. Plenty of meat too!

Here is a comparison I did last year. Here is a chunk of spares.

and then the weight with the bones removed.

and the same sized chunk of babybacks to start with, and then the bones removed.

Actually more meat than St, Louis.

I get the spares for $2.99-$3.49 a lb, and the full spares for $1.79. By the time they are trimmed, they are the same price.

THATS........... why I prefer baby backs!
                    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Those are some puny looking spares CD... So your comparing St. Louie Style to BB's not true spares??
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

The thread was about st Louis not true spares! NO?

I cut a 3 bone section out of the st. Louis, thats full meat on both sides of the bone all the way to the other bones that were not included. Then I cut a 3 bone section of the BB's and trimmed the meat off till it also came to 8.2 ozs. then took out the three bones. there was a 1.1 oz difference. I did try to be as neutral as I could for scientific reasons. Good ole boys at TQJ didn't like the results either and also cried "foul"!

Hahaha.

It really don't matter to me, I wll eat both kinds, I just don't agree with the "more meat" theory.
                        Last edited by Capt Dan; 06-18-2009, 10:43 AM.
                        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Momma said I was a lil slow...
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                            The thread was about st Louis not true spares! NO?

I cut a 3 bone section out of the st. Louis, thats full meat on both sides of the bone all the way to the other bones that were not included. Then I cut a 3 bone section of the BB's and trimmed the meat off till it also came to 8.2 ozs. then took out the three bones. there was a 1.1 oz difference. I did try to be as neutral as I could for scientific reasons. Good ole boys at TQJ didn't like the results either and also cried "foul"!

Hahaha.

It really don't matter to me, I wll eat both kinds, I just don't agree with the "more meat" theory.
                            I buy spares, trim them to St. Louis style, and have always had more meat on the SL's vs BB's... maybe I'm shopping in the wrong place? Around here, it is hard to find a meaty rack of BB's. I'm not callin' ya' wrong Dan, I'm just sayin' what I've found.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                              I buy spares, trim them to St. Louis style, and have always had more meat on the SL's vs BB's... maybe I'm shopping in the wrong place? Around here, it is hard to find a meaty rack of BB's. I'm not callin' ya' wrong Dan, I'm just sayin' what I've found.
                              I know Phil, It is an argument that has gone on through history, just like some folks will argue that spares are harder to do, or that they taste better, blah, blah, blah. I wasn't callin anyone out! If everyone wanted Baby backs instead, I bet the price would double and we can't have that.
                              I do find that certain packing houses have better spares and leave more loin meat on them.

If you go to any BBQ forum and search back 5-7 days, you will see a thread or discussion about which is better, BB's or Spares.

On Edit: my first post to this thread was not directed at anyone, but instead directed at the question!
                              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Working...
                              X