YS-640 hotspot test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YS-640 hotspot test

Well after my first 2 cooks, ribs, then chicken wings, could see about any were from 40-100 degrees from left to right. left cool side and right hot side. So I thought I would throw some bacon in to find the hot spots. Got temp set at 235, but the Yoder says its running hot at 245-255 didn't check this till I went out at the hour mark to check the bacon. Thought I would just leave it alone let it do it thing.

started with cured bacon

About one hour in
    The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing.

YS-640

Have you tried moving your baffle in about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the way?

Also opening and closing the pit will make a big difference as well I find...opening drops the temp the you get more fire to bring back up to temp and the fans blowing that heat to the right side thus you will have a hitter right side... if you are peaking then you are not cooking!! Let it do its thing and all will be fine with the world!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Yeah put them in at 1:20 then left to go to the store got back here an checked on them at 2:30 so that is what they looked like at about an hour to about hour an ten min. without opening during that time. Had the baffle set at about 1/3 in from the start.
      The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing.

YS-640

Comment

Yep. Yoder make these 640 types to be even in heat up to 225* with the baffle all the way out. Got higher with the heat...gotta start sliding the baffle in to push the heat back towards the left side.
        Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
        Yoder YS640
        Smoke daddy
        100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

An this is what we ended with at 2 hours. The cook was a little off from left to right. So now I now know my hot spot is at the far right but pretty even from front to back. After this an checking with probes I have figured out that with the baffle about a 1/3 of the way in I get temps about 15-20 degrees of each other from left to right, up until I get to within about 10 inches of the right side of the pit. After I start getting closer too the right temps rise pretty fast in the difference. As far as taste both were good but the ones on the left were done just right, for me at least, an the right were just a little over done.

YS-640

Comment

Couple of suggestions:

Never run temp probes through the door while cooking...this causes an air leak and unbalances the positive airflow in the pit, which the pit then tries to compensate for and causes high temperature differences and hot spots.

Make sure that your smoke stack is flush with the inside wall, and does not protrude into the pit...if it is not flush, this can cause a right side hot spot and a temperature inbalance in the pit.
            G'Pa Herb's herbs
            KCBS CBJ CTC

Yoder YS640 w/black comp cart
            Custom made Chimney mount for Mavericks w/6' leads

Pictures of my "tool" http://smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=258

Comment

No probes on this cook just let it go so see the difference on food itself, I really noticed it cooking different form one side to the other when doing chicken wings the other day. I also have the longer probes going threw the stack. The stack is flush so that should be ok.

YS-640

Comment

I do notice when cooking I get smoke out of the door. So before I did this cook I cleaned it off wipe down an left the door open to dry this morning when I got up so it would be ready for the test. I did this from ready one of your post herb's. I still get a little smoke coming from the door but it is very little.

YS-640

Comment

Looking good... bacon,... Yoder... whats not to like!
                  Personally we are not overly picky with ours, as was done in this testing is just cook with it and get to know it. One note on seeing smoke leak out of the hood frame I would suggest less cleaning, those tiny gaps will fill with creosote and other smokey yumminess that I call seasoning the grill and help the 640 perform better for you... the less you clean the cooking chamber, each cook will taste even better in my opinion. Keep the grates fairly clean and keep adding seasoning to the grill!
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Yep just getting use to it, that's really all the test was for so I know what to look for when cooking. Put it up for everyone to see it running. The ribs and wings I have made have come out very good. Just have to move things around when cooking keep things even until it starts to settle in better. Thank you everyone for the advice I do appreciate it.

YS-640

Comment

Originally posted by qkrx7 View Post
                      Yep just getting use to it, that's really all the test was for so I know what to look for when cooking. Put it up for everyone to see it running. The ribs and wings I have made have come out very good. Just have to move things around when cooking keep things even until it starts to settle in better. Thank you everyone for the advice I do appreciate it.
                      Give me a ring if you want to dive into finding out why such a big difference.
                      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                      Yoder Wichita
                      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                        Give me a ring if you want to dive into finding out why such a big difference.
                        I will give you a call tomorrow after noon. Getting to know a new pit and knowing what to expect is the worst part. Thank You

YS-640

Comment

Working...
                        X