Yoder YS640 with a problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoder YS640 with a problem??

I bought the YS640 on Thursday got it home all set up but didn't get the chance to do a bun in until Saturday.

I turn it on the power light comes on (Blue) and I hear the fan going, I push the start button.......NOTHING happens, blank display. The only thing that's on is the light and fan. I turn it off and wait 3 minutes per the instructions and try it again, same thing...NOTHING! I'm bummed!!!!!! I waited 15 minutes maybe something would happen, NOPE! I have called the dealer but it's Saturday and they are gone for the weekend.

I want to open the side of the hopper and see if there's anything unplugged or something but I don't want to void my warranty either. By trade I'm an electronic technician and I'm very familiar with electronic.

I've emailed yoder and the dealer but with it being Saturday I'm sure I'm SOL until Monday.

Michael
    sigpic
    Gizmo & Echo our two girls, great dogs!!!!!

Michael

Yoder YS640
    Char-Broil Commercial 4-burner

Im quite sure that they will fix the problem for you...Good folks...I doubt if looking inside will void anything...These folks will take care of ya...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

That right there is ammunition for you to go to the wife and demand a back up smoker...you can never have to many!
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        Im quite sure that they will fix the problem for you...Good folks...I doubt if looking inside will void anything...These folks will take care of ya...
        Yeah I'm sure they will it's just frustrating that's all. I wanted to break it in this weekend!!

Michael
        sigpic

Michael

Yoder YS640

Comment

When you turn it on does the software version show up... Like U26 or something like that???

If not then the plug might not be in the circuit board. Opening up will not void the warranty! they are too good for that crap... They will have you open it up as well... When you open it up you will have to unplug the fan to get the outside cover off.. just remember/write down how wires are..but you being an electric guy that will help... I would be willing to bet the plug wiggled out somehow from the controller!

You might also have to loosen the control board on the front of the machine. the box is held in place with two screws. It is easy to take on and off. You will then be able to check the connections!

I wish you luck because i would be bummed as well..

Let us know if you need more!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Michael, if the fans are running and the blue light on the display is on, there is power to the controller. You may have a issue with the controller. Call Yoder and talk to Joe Phillips. He will take care of you.
            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
            Yoder Wichita
            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Crack it open and check it out. Yoder will take care of you just others have stated. With your electronics background it may be an easy fix so you can have it running yet this weekend; if not get in touch with Yoder Monday...
              --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Man! I would be bummed too. I hope you get it sorted soon.

As BBQ Engineer said, ammunition for a backup smoker. Everyone needs a DR plan!

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  That makes me feel better.

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                  Michael, if the fans are running and the blue light on the display is on, there is power to the controller. You may have a issue with the controller. Call Yoder and talk to Joe Phillips. He will take care of you.
                  That was the thing ONLY the "blue" light was on and I could hear the fan but that was it no display.

This morning I was going to open it up but I thought I would give it another try.....And it worked, U26 came up on the display, I pushed the start button and pellets started to fall! Something is intermittence though, so I'm still going to open it up and take a look at all of the contacts, grounds and all of the plugs. Something isn't right, it should work every time. So for now I'm going to burn it for an hour at 350 degrees and then put bacon all over the grills and season the metal a little bit. BLT's for lunch!

Update:
                  Once it hit the 350 degree mark it only held it for a couple of minutes and then dropped down to 332 degrees and held that with the center dashes on the display ---, like it was holding 350 but it wasn't. I increased the temp up to 360 and it switched to the climbing dashes to 365 and then the center dash appeared. It's holding 365 now for 10 minutes. The cooking hood has not been touched either it's been closed the whole time.

Thanks guys for your help, Michael
                  Last edited by Humdinger4u; 03-17-2013, 01:15 PM. Reason: update
                  sigpic

Michael

Yoder YS640

Comment

that is not unusual to hit 350 then drop for a few minutes..(10) or so.. it will kick back up to where you need it to be... leave the lid closed.. If I am doing a long cook i let it heat up for a a good 45 minutes or so it will be spot on for the rest of the cook. If you bump the temps the computer readjusts and you will have a over bigger shoot sometimes...

It will get back to the temp that you want, just be patient and relax and enjoy a cold beverage or two and you will be good to go!!

Glad things got going for you!!
                    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                    Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber Performer
                    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

One thing you don't want to do is increase or decrease the temp if its off a bit. The software is designed to watch the temp and once its gone a set amount in any direction off set temp it will select and use a new feed rate to compensate. As you food heats up and your pit temp climbs (as high as 60 degrees I have seen) the pit will adjust. Best thing to do when running it the is to set the temp and leave it alone or you may end up turning it up then back down and fighting the software. Just a tip...
                      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                      Yoder Wichita
                      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                        Just a tip...
                        Tip well taken Wingman and I will remember that on the next time.

barkonbutts I should let it warm up more like you do too.

Thanks guy
                        sigpic

Michael

Yoder YS640

Comment

Taken care of!

I love a company that taking care of customer is priority one!!!! Got an email from Don Cary asked me a few questions and is now sending me a new control board. Hats off to Yoder!!!!

My thanks to everyone that helped me here on the forum!!!!

Michael
                          Last edited by Humdinger4u; 03-19-2013, 07:46 AM.
                          sigpic

Michael

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Humdinger4u View Post
                            I haven't figured out how to post a picture yet to show how the bacon came
                            Man...These Cat's Love pics! Right nice ya got that support from Yoder!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Pictures there but I don't know why it doesn't show up??
                              sigpic

Michael

Yoder YS640

Comment

Working...
                              X