Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 maple season, love me new evaporator...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 maple season, love me new evaporator...

been holding out on you all, I showed you my evaporator build, here i will show you all the start of the 2013 maple season. It was a cold spring and just wouldnt warm up and kick the trees in gear, but when it finally happened well I am really glad i was prepared.

first off you need some sap, these are early season pics(last week), with the snow it looks alot more winterlike out, mebe i grab some new pics on todays run.

Got the new evaporator all set up and level, started out with one inch of sap in the pan and fired it up.

the first signs of evaporation taking place...

and then it started to boil.

then the trick was to figure out how fast the sap was evaporating and set the valve for the incoming fresh sap to maintain the one inch level while not letting it get below either. Once i got the fire figured out and got it burning right, you will see in the next pics, but this is the flow i needed to maintain one inch.

now i got the thing cooking, this does some serious work on that sap and can reduce it pretty quick.

the thermos i have on here are specially made for maple syrup making, they dont have the normal scale. as the sap gets hot the thermo makes one revolution and when it hits zero that is 212 or boiling. if you take it up to the 7 then your at 219 or syrup stage. I havnot taken any right up to 219 in the pan but draw off at around 217 and when i got a bunch in a stock pot I finish it down in a batch.
    here is the thermo where the sap is incoming... aprox 180 deg on that corner of the pan.

here is the opposite corner where the sap is boiling and is at zero or boiling.

here are some pics of the dividers after it has been up and running a bit.
    first is the section where the fresh sap is incoming, note the color.

here is center divider, compare color to above pic.

and here is the final section.

and of all 3 at once, see how it progresses...

finishing off first boil of the year and broke in the new pan.

pretty looking stuff, tastes better than it looks.

the last cupla pics the syrup looks dark but that is from the background color. I will add more from another boil if i have something interesting or may just post some more pics to bore ya with.

first boil and ended up with 9 pints, just over a gallon and some extra for pancakes and ice cream. most i ever finished off at one shot. have a bigger batch to finish off in am and will be boiling a bunch of sap this weekend giving the evaporator a workout. The more i use it the better i figure it out.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Now that is Farkin Cool! Nice work E. I bet the same setup would work for cane syrup (Florida Maple)
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Very nice right there!! I am sure that taste great!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Very nice. One of the things I miss from living in New Hampshire. We had 8 acres of sugar maples. Though I took ours down lower in water as I like dark B the best.
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Way to go E man .Great set up

Point worthy for sure
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Fine job, E! and way cool set up.

With all of the particulars of making syrup, any reason you are using wood vs gas?

to ya!!

Comment

Looks great, how much do you make in a good year?
              sigpic

The New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker
              Assorted other meat burners/smokers

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                Though I took ours down lower in water as I like dark B the best.
                Dont think that would work, Syrup is pretty exacting, like a brine for curing a ham. Truley it is measured with a hydrometer and syrup must be between 66.5 and 67.5 brix. The different grades are not a result of more or less water ratio but more of a sap condition

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                With all of the particulars of making syrup, any reason you are using wood vs gas?

to ya!!
                $$$

Originally posted by Smoke'n Dave View Post
                Looks great, how much do you make in a good year?
                I am kinda new at this, the first year i did it i made up around 6.5 gallons on turkey fryers and stock pots. That year it was an early start and lingered for a cupla weeks before things really started flowing. I just pulled the taps cause i couldnt keep up with it and still have a day job... This year is going to be pretty awesome year as the next weeks forcast looks like it is going to hold pretty well for perfect sugaring weather. we will see what happens...
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

That is one hell of a set up. Labor of love, syrup making is!

Comment

That is a nice setup, worth for sure
                    are you bottling right off the third stage or do you bottle after it cools down ?
                    this is something I am going to do next year once this ankle is healed.
                    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                    members mark upright propane smoker
                    kingsford bbq
                    23"weber kettle

Comment

Slicker'n shit thru a tin horn! (Dunno where that came from...used to hear it as a kid). God that's alot of BTU's. I wonder... about a slow drip solar setup. Will the sap keep till it's sunny/hot? Might get a pretty good reduction in BTU's needed if you could solar "precook"?

OK..the engineer is going back to sleep now...
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Slicker'n shit thru a tin horn! (Dunno where that came from...used to hear it as a kid). God that's alot of BTU's. I wonder... about a slow drip solar setup. Will the sap keep till it's sunny/hot? Might get a pretty good reduction in BTU's needed if you could solar "precook"?

OK..the engineer is going back to sleep now...
                        I seen all sorts of gizmos, tubing coiled around the chimney feeding the hopper seems to be pretty popular. Just thinking of all the extra stuff need to be cleaned. And it has to be super clean. The sap does spoil easily and pretty much should be boiled down every day for best results. With work and all the collecting and such it kind of makes that almost impossible. fortunately the weather has been perfect. Sometimes, like today ice in the bags at night letting you take a day off collecting and boil instead. The other bonus of the Ice is the sugar dont freeze so just collecting the thawed stuff and tossing the ice out leaves you with a more concentrated solution requiring less boil time.
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                          The other bonus of the Ice is the sugar dont freeze so just collecting the thawed stuff and tossing the ice out leaves you with a more concentrated solution requiring less boil time.
                          Soo why not toss it in the freezer then?
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That is freakin' AWESOME, E!!

Thanks for sharing. I had NO idea what the process was like

No wonder maple syrup is so darn expensive.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                              That is a nice setup, worth for sure
                              are you bottling right off the third stage or do you bottle after it cools down ?
                              this is something I am going to do next year once this ankle is healed.
                              filter and bottle while still hot. you got to bottle while hot to form a vacuum as it cools down.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Soo why not toss it in the freezer then?
                              Do you know how big a freezer that would take? But better yet, could go reverse osmosis filtering...
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X