Thanks again Squirrel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks again Squirrel!

Well, Squirrel sent me some free-gratis sourdough starter and I have been working with it ever since. I keep looking for things to bake that will use up some starter so that I don't have to throw it out. I found a recipe on King Arthur Flour's website for English muffins, so I decided to give it a try.

The problem I encountered was they said to cook them in an electric frying pan or a pan over the stove, flipping them over after cooking for awhile and then laying a cookie sheet over the top to press down just a little....well, no electric frying pan anymore. We have a Cuisinart grill/pannini maker that is pictured below and it would work out great, except the lid was really too heavy to close down on the fresh dough, so I took a small, metal cookie cutter and put it under the lid so it couldn't press down hard on the puffed up dough.

Goods and bads: It cooked 4 muffins in less than 5 minutes, but it had a heavy lid. The cookie cutter worked out fine as a prop (you can see it in the first picture). The recipe was great and we have 24 English muffins, but just a little thin, compared to store-bought.

This was all done while trying to watch the Masters!!!

Thanks again, Squirrel!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smokerdean; 04-13-2013, 09:13 PM.
    Arizona Deano
    "Illegitimas Non-Carborundum!"

"Life is tough. Its tougher when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Those look good to me...ready for breakfast sammies!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

too thin? they look awesome from here!!!! Damn now I want a muffin with some apple butter for breakfast... and sadly neither in my fridge
      Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you only have today!

Comment

Those look awesome Dean! I have that same griddle. I also use ring molds for mine. Totally not necessary, but just another excuse to buy more kitchen gadgetry. You got me motivated to make some today!

Comment

You baking folk amaze me.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Verry Nizzee muffins, Squirrel Girl treat you right!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
              Those look awesome Dean! I have that same griddle. I also use ring molds for mine. Totally not necessary, but just another excuse to buy more kitchen gadgetry. You got me motivated to make some today!
              I use a ring mold to cut out the muffin, but I just used a small, metal cookie cutter to prop the lid open a little and avoid flattening the muffin too much. After letting the muffin-shaped dough rise, it is really soft and can be easily flattened. The griddle works really well for cooking/baking the muffins as it takes less than 5 minutes to do them, so I was trolling around the kitchen to find something to keep the lid up a little and voila!!! there were these little cookie cutters. How does that go.....Necessity is the mother of invention!?!?
              Arizona Deano
              "Illegitimas Non-Carborundum!"

"Life is tough. Its tougher when you're stupid."
              John Wayne

Comment

Working...
              X