jerky cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerky cure

hi, i need a cure for jerky using instacure#1 as i want to cold smoke it and dont want it to spoil, the last batch i made was way too salty. cheers

What did you use to cure your last batch??
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

i used a brine recipe i found but used a different cure that is a very weak mix of nitrates so had to use alot, i wont use it again.

Comment

I don't know if you had gotten an answer here Jake...

#1 cure...Prague or "pink salt" is used at the rate of 1 TEASPOON/5 Lbs of meat. You then add salt (and other ingredients) as you desire.

Don't know what you used before, but Morton's Tenderquick works well, and includes salt in the correct amount...see the sticky "Jerky Basics" at the top of this forum.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I believe he's currently using the same stuff I use and we WEIGH it lol
          It's pretty high nitrite conc, 15g per kg usage. So unless you add extra salt you don't get a very salty product.
          Why he'd brine jerky is beyond me, but then if you just get recipes from random websites what can you expect ;-)
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Instacure #1 at 1 tsp per 5 lbs as Rich said. Tenderquick makes it too salty for me.

Try for 5 lbs of meat 1 cup Worcestershire, 3/4 cup soy sauce, 1 Tbs garlic powder, 1 Tbs black pepper, 1 Tbs onion powder, 1 tsp instacure #1.

The soy in this recipe adds enough salt for me but marinade meat for 1 to 3 days. Before drying taste the meat and adjust seasonings at that time.
            Keith

Comment

now that sounds like a winning recipe to me...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X