Tri Tip Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri Tip Question

Hi all, doing my first tri tips on the smoker today. Got 2 roasts at about 2.5 lbs each. Was wondering about smoker temp and what temp to pull the meat. I'm thinking 250 on the smoker and pulling when the meat hits 140. Sound like a good plan to you all? Also any guesses on how long this will take. I've read it shouldn't take too long. Maybe 3 hours? Thanks for your help.

Dave

Originally posted by NorthWet Smoker View Post
    Hi all, doing my first tri tips on the smoker today. Got 2 roasts at about 2.5 lbs each. Was wondering about smoker temp and what temp to pull the meat. I'm thinking 250 on the smoker and pulling when the meat hits 140. Sound like a good plan to you all? Also any guesses on how long this will take. I've read it shouldn't take too long. Maybe 3 hours? Thanks for your help.

Dave
    Sounds good if you want medium/medium-rare. The time sounds close, but you just never know of course.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hi Dave,
      My experiance with tris, I would run the smoker on the cooler side, 230* and yep be ready it's like right when your are just getting settled into your smoke bam, she's done! If you smoke it at 250 its gonna go fast, I pull mine at 135, and rest it. Its such a lean piece of beef, it gets to leather in no time!
      Good Luck and let us know how you do!
      Last edited by Bbqgoddess; 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM. Reason: typo, thanks RT

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
        I pull mine at 235, and rest it. Its such a lean piece of beef, it gets to leather in no time!
        Good Luck and let us know how you do!
        135°? Probably...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I ran my smoker temps at 250, and i also pulled at 135, and let it rest, tented with foil, for bout 15-20 minutes.....

you will LOVE this cut of meat..............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. Off to get the pit fired up now. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Dave

Comment

Just wanted to folllow up real quick on yesterdays smoke. Dead camera battery so no pics (I know I know!). The tris turned out really well. The temps kind of got away from me so I didn't pull the meat until 145 degrees. A little overcooked but still tender and juicy with a nice little smoke ring. Next time will watch the meat closer as they do cook pretty quick. I think pulling at 135 and resting for a few as mentioned above would have been perfect. 225-235 on the cooker with cherry wood and they took just under 3 hours. This is a great quick smoke that I will definately do again soon. Thanks again for the help everyone.

Dave

Comment

Sounds great.

What is a tri tip?
                Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                Ducane 4100 propane grill
                Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Awesome Dave, I am glad they came out well for ya! They are fast, my first one was awful, ruined a great piece of beef.
                  One of our favorites is one that I inject with strong coffee.. put some java rub on the outside.. that one is yummy makes killer sammies! You will love doing tris partly cuz they are quick!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by lynsey123 View Post
                    What is a tri tip?
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

They are DELICIOUS!!

They are a pretty quick smoke though. They are also great on the grill.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Thanks for the info Dave.

Herb
                      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                      Ducane 4100 propane grill
                      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Working...
                      X