how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long?

want to smoke some cheese , how long are you folks smoking cheese for?
    PROLINE BOWSTRINGS STAFF COORDINATOR
    smoking one thing at a time

I usually go aboot 3-4 hours with a mild to medium wood for flavor. Just me.
    sigpic

Comment

thanks !

Comment

Depends upon how large the cheese chunks are, what type of cheese you will be smoking, the outside temperature, your personal preference and what your smoke source is.

I use an amnps, usually in cool weather, and smoke fairly large chunks for about 4 hours.

Attached Files
        sigpic
        Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
        -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
        -AMNPS
        -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
        gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

I smoke cheese until the spouse makes me go outside. She says I stink up the living room! Mostly I roll it into little balls and stuff it into a corncob pipe. It takes a lot of butane to get her going but gives me a huge buzz!!
          Kidding of course. My days of smoking ended when Jerry Garcia died in 1995!
          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
            I smoke cheese until the spouse makes me go outside. She says I stink up the living room! Mostly I roll it into little balls and stuff it into a corncob pipe. It takes a lot of butane to get her going but gives me a huge buzz!!
            Kidding of course. My days of smoking ended when Jerry Garcia died in 1995!
            My days of smoking ended when I had to pee in a cup. Lol.

It depends. I find the softer cheeses take on more smoke. The harder ones, less. It's really a personal preference too. Some taste great with a heavy smoke others don't. Depends on what wood you're using too. One tastes great with hickory and not cherry. The other is great with cherry and not hickory.

Start with 2-3 hours and go from there. You can always go longer next time. You can't take it back once you've smoked it.

Sorry if that was kind of vague, but everyone's taste buds are different. Smoked several that I thought were fantastic. Others didn't think so.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

so extra sharp cheddar and cherry ? good combo or choose another wood?

Comment

Not this long...

In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

It seems to help if you wrap it in wax/butcher paper for a few weeks after smoking, and let the smoke penetrate deeper into the cheese. If you can wait that long....
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I am using the AMNPS and with cheap 1/2 pound generic cheese that goes on sale for about $1.50 per block I have been going 2 hours. I have been using maple/oak pellets, tried hickory but it seemed too strong for my wife. I usually get farmers, mozzarella, cheddar, marble jack, and pepper jack. I do them all the same amount of time. At two hours the smoke is not too strong. I also try to keep the temps less than 70 degrees using blue ice. After smoking I vacuum seal and put in my spare fridge for at least a week.

Tomorrows project is smoked sea salt for my son who is giving to his friends.

HK91

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Not this long...

I love a guy that posts his nacho cheese for others to learn from, even though that means not making more nacho cheese!
                      Don

Humphrey's Pint
                      Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                      Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                      Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                      Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                      Anova One Sous Vide
                      AMPS
                      Purple Thermapen
                      Maverick ET-733
                      DigIQ DX2
                      Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X