Burning in the new pellet pooper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning in the new pellet pooper.

After months and months of reading reviews, googling myself half to death and checking and re-checking the budget, I decided to pull the trigger on a Traeger Texas grill.

I hope I'm not sorry, but only time will tell that tale.

One thing I noticed is that the new Traeger digitals now have a "shut down mode" setting, which shuts down the auger and burns any remaining pellets in the firepot before shutting down the fan as well. Perhaps a change to help deal with some of the "overburn" heard about?

Anyway...here is how it went:
    Over all it was a snap...assembly took literally a few minutes and then I did a burn in for an hour or so.

This is how it looked just coming out of the box....note that the hopper, controls and auger are all pre-assembled...that when I knew this would be an easy one.

Opened it to find things well-packed inside.

Heck....they even gave me extras of every hardware item....I don't know about you, but I always lose that last little frigging washer...ya know?

Ok first step....put the legs on...two bolts in each....no prob.

Then put the handle on the door and attach the smokestack with gasket to the unit, and we're done with the major assembly.

Now we get to the "innards"...first the heat deflector goes directly over the firebox.

Then the grease drain which will drain from left to right and into the little bucket you see hanging there...be sure to line that bucket with aluminium foil to make your life a bit easier.

Then the porcelaine cooking grate on top. These three items are heavily coated with manufacturing oils and such, and will be burned off before use.

Done....and ready for a burn in

On the initial burn in, it takes about 5-7 minutes for the suger to feed the pellets into the fire pot and get them lit....everything working well so far.

Brought the temp setting to high and soon had a bit of smoke showing.
    The ambient temperature was 50 °F and the wind was a slight breeze.

About five minutes in we were nearing 300°

Ten minutes in we topped 380°

15 minutes in and we are approaching 450°...it topped out over 450, then settled in and ran at about 425 for the rest of the hour burn off procedure.

I let it all cool down and then returned to christen it with some chicken quarters and baked potatoes.

Took the yardbird and rubbed it with some EVOO and then Lawreys salt and Plowboy's yardbird rub.
    Heated the grill to 375 and let her rip.

Don't know if you can see it because the wind was howling by this time, but we had some nice thin blue smoke here.

Cooked it over hickory pellets and even with the wind, the grill held 375 very nicely....there will be a slight learning curve here. The chicken cooked more quickly than I thought it would...it was up to 190° in an hour....but was very nice and juicy.

I didn't take a picture after cutting into it, but I should have...it developed a nice little smoke ring in just an hour....tasty, juicy and with a touch of smoke...not overpowering.

I'm quite pleased with the first cook....check back often...I will try to post most of my learning curve with this Traeger.
    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Hey congrats on the pellet smoker!! You will like it! Wait till you put a pork but on a 10:00Pm and go to bed and sleep all night and wake up at 7 and you are ready to foil and enjoy the day!

You will have fun with that!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

That's a beauty! Nothing quite like the first cook on a new unit. Have been tossing the idea around about a pellet cooker, so I'll be looking for your posts and learning about yours.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Congratulations on the purchase of your new pellet grill. You will have many fine years to surprise your friends and neighbors with how good BBQ can be.

Lot's of luck!

Ed
        Yoder YS480
        Yoder Cheyenne
        Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
        Kettlepizza

Comment

You'll rock that thing Hoser.
          New Braunfels Black Diamond
          18.5" WSM
          Weber Performer Deluxe Black
          18.5 Weber Kettle
          22.5 Weber Kettle
          Maverick ET732
          6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

You are going to enjoy the ease of use when cooking on a pellet cooker. Great tasting food too.
            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
            Yoder Wichita
            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Congrats on the pellet smoker/grill Hoser... I'm confident you will enjoy so much you will be grilling twice as much as before you purchased it!
              --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Congrats! Nice looking cooker & chicken
                sigpic

Comment

You will love it. I did two boston butts on mine this weekend for a baptism on Sunday put them on at 7:00 PM Saturday at 220 degrees and pulled them before church Sunday morning.. Love the set it and forget it of a pellet grill.

Comment

Congrats on the pellet muncher. Make sure to foil the heat diffuser and grease bucket to make cleanups easier. Enjoy!
                    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                    Frogmats
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment