Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Wire From BBQ Brush Lands Teen in Surgery

Tiny Wire From BBQ Brush Lands Teen in Surgery

<iframe id="kaltura_player_1368223431" style="border: 0px solid #ffffff;" src="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/embedIframe/entry_id/0_c679seer/widget_id/_483511/uiconf_id/3775332?referer=http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/grill-brush-bristle-risks-teen-surgery-swallowing-metal-19149740&flashvars[autoPlay]=false&addThis.playerSize=392x221&freeWheel.siteSe ctionId=nws_offsite&closedCaptionActive=false&addT his.playerSize=640x360&closedCaptionsOverPlayer.fo ntsize=18" height="360" width="640">Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.</iframe>
    [LEFT]

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...en-in-surgery/

A Washington state teen is recovering after a “violent” stomach ache landed him in a hospital where doctors performed exploratory surgery only to discover his problems stemmed from a BBQ brush wire that he unknowingly swallowed.
    Tristin Beck, 16, of Mountlake Terrace, Wash., was admitted to Seattle Children’s hospital late last week when his symptoms went from stomach pains to vomiting. Tristin told his parents it felt like he was being stabbed from the inside out.

On Sunday night, doctors performed exploratory surgery on his small intestine and found a problem no one expected.

“We saw the glisten of metal off the light. Another doctor said that looks like a wire from a BBQ brush,” said Dr. Kimberly Riechle, a surgeon at the hospital. “It turns out Tristin unknowingly ate one of these, a wire – the size of a hair — from a common grill brush. It apparently came off and stuck to the chicken he was eating at a family BBQ.”
    As strange as it sounds, this is not the first time a wire from a grill brush has landed someone in the hospital. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has issued a warning in the past about old BBQ brushes and the threat of tiny metal bristles rubbing off.

Doctors from Rhode Island Hospital reported in July 2012 that six people came to the emergency department from 2011 to 2012 with wire bristles from grill brushes lodged in their throats, stomachs, intestines or other organs after eating meat cooked on an outdoor grill.

Tristin’s mother, Beth Beck, had never heard of the problem and is now heeding the CDC’s warning and throwing out her BBQ brush. Beck is also urging other parents to check their brush right before the BBQ season heats up.

“I don’t want anybody else to go through this. It’s been horrible,” Beck said.
    Tristin, who described the pain as “pretty violent,” is still in the hospital and expected to make a full recovery. He has gone from scared to overwhelmed about his strange close call.

“I have really bad luck because of this one in a million chance happened to me. But also really good luck because they found it so early and the doctors put me in the O.R. and got it out,” Tristin said.

Tristin hasn’t been able to eat solid food for days and is craving something delicious to chow down on, but he says, just don’t offer him anything off the grill for a while.
    sigpic

Never heard of that, but I can see it happening quite easily!!!

Gotta keep an eye on me brushes!!!

Thanks for posting this, Tim!!!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I knew there was a reason I didn't use a grill brush. A piece of foil wadded up works just as well.
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Glad you posted this...

A few years ago while camping in Oregon I met a guy that got a wire bristle from a BBQ brush caught in his throat and nearly killed him. Apperantly stayed on the grill then imbedded in the food.

I thought about it the other evening and thought it should be posted .... Thanks

Comment

I added the video for you Tim, I was just fixing to post this.. This is the second time in a few this has happened.. Makes you think...
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Ok, now you have me paranoid.....

Comment

Yeah I saw this story on the news the other day.... scary.

Right there with Becky though, a wadded piece of foil works 95% of the time.
              Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
              Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
              A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
              A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
              Frogmats
              Maverick ET 732
              Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Good post, I'm going to try the wadded up foil next time.
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Working...
                X