Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket and tornado...dont try this at home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket and tornado...dont try this at home.

You may have read my post on Saturday "and the smoke came and the rain went away"....

Well let me tell you that aint how it works....I was about four hours into a great brisket smoke when the skys darkened...not to worry...
    Well we are all sittin around eatin supper when the tornado sirens went off...the guy on the TV said the tornado was on the ground at the airport and headed our way. While the family grabbed thier supper and headed to the basement I went out to check the fire...Its all good so I join the crew in the shelter. For a while...then back to check things out. The wind was probably about 60 mph and the rain was blowin everywhere. The Chargriller seemed to have things under control so I went downstairs again. Im thinking no big deal, if it gets worse Ill stick it in the oven...and the power goes out... and things did get worse...by the time things calmed down a little the temp in the CG way 147...Crap! so I scrambled to add some coals. Tried to light them in the chimney but I could see that wasnt gonna work so I just dumped them into the fire box hoping the hot coals would light them up...and they did...Over 300 before I knew it...In time I got the temp down without screwin up the smoke and added more wood. I need a beer just thinkin about it. I guess I setteled down and figured on runnin the CG all night since I have no electricity...Not acording to plan for sure but we can handle it. Then after about 4 hours the power came back on...Its 11:30, the beef has been in the smoke for 8 hours and Ive had enough. Into the oven for the brisket and off to bed for me...

Brisket was great. Maybe a tad dryer than I used to but under the circumstances Im glad to be around to eat it at all.
    Craig
    sigpic

Now thats an interesting smoke.Glad your all still there.
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Where there's a will, there's a way. Glad you're you're still here to tell us about it. One more for the story book....right? Doesn't always go as planned.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Well, I bet Cheech and Chong NEVER had a smoke like that one there! :)

Oh, glad you pulled through !

Comment

Glad to hear the tornado didnt get ya.
          SCOTT

Comment

Glad you escaped the brunt of the storm! Congrats on getting you brisket done without mishap.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Now, that's dedication.

Winds at 60 mph, huh?

Okay, I promise not to complain (too much anyway) about the wind here.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Now I feel BAD!!! I had the nerve to complain about a bit of rain!!! Good Job and lots of dedication.

CharGriller Pro w/FSB and HawgHeaven Mods
                Bradley Jim Beam Digital W/Heater Mod (950 Watts now ) Weber Genesis Silver "A" w/Smoker Box and a Big Black UDS

Comment

man oh man ya have had it all last week the heat burst and heavy rain funnels wheres toto. i've beed lucky it peters out by the time it gets here.
                  Terry here
                  Still have Christene

Comment

Holly Moley what a night at smokefreaks..I guess you could go out and look for injured cows and bring them home and clean and cookem..is that allowed?

glad you were all right.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

1st Annual Brisket Blow Out at Smoke Freak's!

Glad yer okay and the brisket survived!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Mike,
                        All I can say is YIKES.... scary stuff... we get a little thunder and lightening what a couple of times a year? But 60 mph winds? Holy cow!
                        I am sure glad you and your family are alright. I was hoping the story did not end with the CG and brisket in the neighbors yard down the street!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          You may have read my post on Saturday "and the smoke came and the rain went away"....

Im thinking no big deal, if it gets worse Ill stick it in the oven...and the power goes out...

runnin the CG all night since I have no electricity...

Brisket was great. Maybe a tad dryer than I used to but under the circumstances Im glad to be around to eat it at all.
                          Yea when I saw your post the other day I thought you might be in the path of the big ugly wind. No electricity, thats why its so important to have your kitchen stove/oven be a gasser and not electric. Its either that or have a really good generator or if ya got the money, put up a wind turbine and screw the electric company.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morkdach View Post
                            man oh man ya have had it all last week the heat burst and heavy rain funnels wheres toto. i've beed lucky it peters out by the time it gets here.
                            Yeah thats what usually happens here so I figured I had noting (much) to fear.

Actually my side of town didnt sustain much damage but just a mile north of here... look out... trees down all over the place. On main street there was huge damage but here we got by just fine..sorta...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X