Was Just Given A Whole Apple Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Just Given A Whole Apple Tree

The tree has been standing dead in my brother in law's yard for a couple years and knowing that I collect various woods for meat smoking he cut it down and hauled it in tome a couple days ago. With it being standing dead for a couple years outside, do you think it will still give good flavor to meats?

Score!

Yes, it should be fine - keep in mind that wood has to dry and "season" a while anyway. I'd say that you've got at least two year's worth of good smoking wood for sure - and in all practical terms, probably a lot more than that.

If nothing else, it will make great fuel for burning, but my strong suspicion is that it will also be great simply as smoking wood, too. If you have a stick/charcoal burner, then you're shittin' in tall cotton, as the old-timers say....
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

yeah you will be just fine!! good smoking wood there!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

My favorite. Nice Score!! how big?
        New Braunfels Black Diamond
        18.5" WSM
        Weber Performer Deluxe Black
        18.5 Weber Kettle
        22.5 Weber Kettle
        Maverick ET732
        6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

as long as it's not rotten, I'd say you just hit it big time! nice!
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Yer likely good to go, man! I'd cook the bro some Q for that
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

look, unlike everyone else, i think its bad. and me being a nice guy, i will do you a favor and come by and haul it off for you. no charge at all...

great score on the apple wood
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                look, unlike everyone else, i think its bad. and me being a nice guy, i will do you a favor and come by and haul it off for you. no charge at all...
                Ya know, I was gonna try that but getting up and back from Florida....
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Same thing happened to me 2 seasons ago. Guy cut down a big apple tree and all I had to do was cut it up on the ground and haul it away. I still have enough to get me through this season but thats about it. I cut it into 18' logs and then split it as I need it. It will hold the moisture better if you don't split it right away.

I just had another friend of mine drop me off a nice pile of apple limbs on Tuesday from a apple tree he trimmed at his in laws place. He says that tree should be ready to come down in a season or two and I can have that one too.

Enjoy it as apple is one of the best smoking woods you will find for pork especially!
                  G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Comment

Love Apple, you scored!
                    sigpic

Comment

This thread got me to thinking so last night I posted a ad on CL in the Farm and Garden section saying I would be interested in any apple, cherry, plum hickory or any smoking woods. Stated I would cut and haul away or if they had it already cut I would be willing to pay something or do some Q for them.

Got 3 calls today. One guy has a apple tree cut and split and says I can have the pile for $25 another lady has several small apple and several small cherry trees that were taken down last fall and I'm welcome to all I want for free!
                      The other guy I missed the call but he left a voice message.

You may want to give it a try in your area. You may be surprised at what turns up. I sure was!
                      G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                        This thread got me to thinking so last night I posted a ad on CL in the Farm and Garden section saying I would be interested in any apple, cherry, plum hickory or any smoking woods. Stated I would cut and haul away or if they had it already cut I would be willing to pay something or do some Q for them.

Got 3 calls today. One guy has a apple tree cut and split and says I can have the pile for $25 another lady has several small apple and several small cherry trees that were taken down last fall and I'm welcome to all I want for free!
                        The other guy I missed the call but he left a voice message.

You may want to give it a try in your area. You may be surprised at what turns up. I sure was!
                        dude that rocks, what a great idea
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X