foil the heat plate on 640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foil the heat plate on 640

Just wondering if anyone has a trick to keeping the foil on the heat diffuser plate on the 640.Ive tried different ways and the foil just keeps coming off the sides. Also the diffuser plate is warping on the side that is above the fire pot, anyone else have or seen this problem. Thank you.
    Yoder Ys640
    Char griller smoker
    Lumber Jack
    Maple,Hickory,Cherry
    A-maze-n smoke tube

Originally posted by Jaymxr View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has a trick to keeping the foil on the heat diffuser plate on the 640.Ive tried different ways and the foil just keeps coming off the sides. Also the diffuser plate is warping on the side that is above the fire pot, anyone else have or seen this problem. Thank you.
    I always use heavy duty foil which I get from Costco and it fits across the heat diffuser without any problem. From side to side it fits pretty good (although a single sheet doesn't overlap on the sides). For the length, I make it long enough to fold over the firepit and grease trap side. If you use the lighter foil (non-heavy duty) the air flow might cause it to lift up and expose the diffuser. You might then try using several sheets that overlap and fold over the side edges as well as the firepit and grease trap sides.

I have never had any warping problem with my 640, but you might give Yoder a shout and see if there is anything they can do for you.
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I use the heavy duty foil as well, two sheets with a good over lap... get some grease in there but not much!

As for warping... I have not had any issues... do you take it out when direct grilling?? I have heard of a few have this issue if they did not take it out on direct grill mode... Call Joe and he will send you a new one more than likely! What temps have you had that sheet of steel subject too?
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
        I always use heavy duty foil which I get from Costco and it fits across the heat diffuser without any problem. From side to side it fits pretty good (although a single sheet doesn't overlap on the sides). For the length, I make it long enough to fold over the firepit and grease trap side. If you use the lighter foil (non-heavy duty) the air flow might cause it to lift up and expose the diffuser. You might then try using several sheets that overlap and fold over the side edges as well as the firepit and grease trap sides.

I have never had any warping problem with my 640, but you might give Yoder a shout and see if there is anything they can do for you.
        This is the answer you are looking for, I do the same. Use the following size or similar and heavy duty foil - it matters:

Reynolds 624 500' Length x 18" Width, Heavy-Duty Aluminum Foil Roll

I buy this from Amazon and it lasts for more than a year for me. Note that this is not as Heavy Duty as the consumer grade Heavy Duty (what you buy from the local grocery) but it works. Use 1 sheet length-wise, instead of 2 sheets overlapping.

One other thing, it can still warp on the sides if you are spraying with cold marinades/mops during cooking (do not use cold marinades - bad habit I still have). Hope this helps.
        Yoder YS640
        Weber E-310
        Maverick ET-732

Comment

24" wide Heavy Duty foil works perfect...no seams...
          G'Pa Herb's herbs
          KCBS CBJ CTC

Yoder YS640 w/black comp cart
          Custom made Chimney mount for Mavericks w/6' leads

Pictures of my "tool" http://smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=258

Comment

Originally posted by Herb's herbs View Post
            24" wide Heavy Duty foil works perfect...no seams...
            Yep me too, I buy mine a Wally world (Walmat).

Michael
            sigpic
            Gizmo & Echo our two girls, great dogs!!!!!

Michael

Yoder YS640
            Char-Broil Commercial 4-burner

Comment

Same here. Get mine from Sam's Club. I usually wrap and smooth so that I have 4 layers. The next day after the cook when I clean up the grill, I peel a layer back after each cook until I see what the second layer looks like. If its good, i start to put on more layers over this one.

Ed
              Yoder YS480
              Yoder Cheyenne
              Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
              Kettlepizza

Comment

Your foil question has been all ready covered, wife and I do the same as above and use the heavy duty foil from SAM's Club.

As for the heat diffuser plate there is no reason to have it in your grill at cooking chamber heats above 350º, at this point you are grilling and not smoking. 350º and higher is when the heat diffuser plate will warp and at that temp there is no reason to have it still in your Yoder, the heat diffuser plate is for indirect heat for smoking, not grilling.
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                  I use the heavy duty foil as well, two sheets with a good over lap... get some grease in there but not much!

As for warping... I have not had any issues... do you take it out when direct grilling?? I have heard of a few have this issue if they did not take it out on direct grill mode... Call Joe and he will send you a new one more than likely! What temps have you had that sheet of steel subject too?
                  Thanks for the foil tips. Yes I do take out the heat diffuser when im direct grilling. Ive had the pit as high as 350 400 with the heat diffuser in just to finish up some meats. But only did that mabey 3 times. I called Byron over at Yoder he said if it get worse to let him know and he will send me one. Right now its about 1/4 inch in the corners.
                  Yoder Ys640
                  Char griller smoker
                  Lumber Jack
                  Maple,Hickory,Cherry
                  A-maze-n smoke tube

Comment

Working...
                  X