• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start to build my first UDS

Hi

Now i will start to make my UDS! =)

Its an oil drum, 55 gallons.

I have taken off the lid/cover.

Tomorrow im plaing to make a fire in it so all the oil and stuff get the f*ck off :P

But im wondering how big the "air intake" at the bottom should be?

I will try to take phots all the time =)

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

I think you want 5/8" or whatever size pipes you are gonna put in it

Comment

Originally posted by bigun94 View Post
      I think you want 5/8" or whatever size pipes you are gonna put in it
      If you can help me to translate the " :P (5/8) inch = 1.5875 centimeters. Thats correct?

How many " from the bottom @ the drum should it be?

What you ment about pipes? i thought i just needed to make the hole?

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

Comment

mackan110, the sticky at the top of page http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457 will help you a lot. It is a great tutorial and the great people in this forum will be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.
        Good Luck in your build!!
        Steve
        ---------------------------------------------

Weber 26.75 One Touch Gold Kettle
        Weber 22.5" Kettle
        Weber 18" Kettle
        UDS
        Weber Gas Grill
        Masterbuilt XL Propane Upright
        sigpic

Comment

Build that UDS & you will be happy with it's endurance & fuel efficiency. Now ya got me thinking about my Swedish Air Force bud's that I tought F-5E fighter training toooo...showing my age...Oh....sorry...stay after that drum Man!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have checked that thread =)

i have problems to understand this:

Install 3-3/4" close nipples (thread right into a nicely cut hole) with caps and a 3/4" ball valve for your intakes

What is it? :P will i make 2 holes or what? :P

Comment

Originally posted by mackan110 View Post
              I have checked that thread =)

i have problems to understand this:

Install 3-3/4" close nipples (thread right into a nicely cut hole) with caps and a 3/4" ball valve for your intakes

What is it? :P will i make 2 holes or what? :P
              When it is written "3-3/4" close nipples" it can be kind of confusing.

You install a quantity of three nipples. Each nipple is 3/4 inches in diameter. Close nipples are the shortest ones you can get. They are about an inch and a half long.

You make 3 holes evenly spaced around the drum. The holes are (generally) 2 inches from the bottom of the drum.

Hope this helps.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Ohh okey, i thought i would just make 1 hole :O

So i gonna need 3 off:
                http://www.biltema.se/ProductImages/.../86-0016_l.jpg ?

Sry for all the questions :(

Comment

Working...
                X