Tip...?....Watermelon Rind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip...?....Watermelon Rind

Dig deep....Granny & Gramps did pickled watermelon rind. My Granny did, lost the recipe. Yeah I can Google it, Ya got it the old way!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
    Dig deep....Granny & Gramps did pickled watermelon rind. My Granny did, lost the recipe. Yeah I can Google it, Ya got it the old way!
    Let me call dad.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Ah, somewhere I got one, will have ta do some diggin in the note bin.
      sigpic

Comment

Great...I thank ya'll! Gonna make some for my grand daughter.
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

you eat watermelon rind ?
          okay now that's just plain strange lol
          Still waste not - want not, I guess lol
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            you eat watermelon rind ?
            okay now that's just plain strange lol
            Still waste not - want not, I guess lol
            Strange? Nothing went to waste growing up. Every family gathering always had the tupperware pickle tray. Had your olives, sweet pickles, dill pickles and watermelon rind. Try it. We'd wipe a qt jar out in one meal.

Waiting on Dad to call me back with the recipe.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Found this one online, sir:

2 pounds prepared watermelon rind
              1 tablespoon pickling lime
              4 cups clear, distilled vinegar
              1 cup water
              5 cups sugar
              1 tablespoon whole allspice
              1 tablespoon whole cloves
              6 small pieces cinnamon stick

Prepare and remove all green and pink portion from watermelon rind. cut in small pieces and soak for three hoursin lime water made from the lime mixed with one quart of water. Drain and rinse the watermelon rind. Cover with fresh cold water and boil for one hour, or until tender. Drain the watermelon. Cover with a weak vinegar solution (one cup in two cups of water) and allow to stand overnight.

Discard the liquid the next morning and make a syrup of the three cups of vinegar, one cup water, sugar and spices. Heat the syrup to the simmering point. Remove from heat, cover and steep for one hour to extract the flavor from the spices. Add the drained watermelon to syrup and cook gently for two hours or until the syrup is fairly thick. Pack the fruit and syrup in pint-standard canning jars. Adjust the jar lids and bands. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Rich....I think i'm gonna attempt this. Last time I had this stuff was long ago at my Grannies.
                Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

This stuff brings back some good memories.

This is based on how many quart jars you are going to can. So may have to guess by how much brine you make.

Trim all pink and skin off the rind. Cut into 1-2 inch pieces. Soak 8-10 hours or overnight in salt brine. Make enough to cover the rind.

Brine:

2 cups water
                  1/4 cup salt

Rinse and mix per quart, in large kettle:

1 cup cider vinegar
                  2 cups sugar
                  1 tsp whole cloves
                  1 large stick cinnammon

Add rind and boil for 20 - 30 minutes. Put in sterile pint or quart jars, covering completely with liquid. Seal. Let sit for about a week.

Note: Mom always added food coloring. Usually green, but red can be used too. Dad says she never measured, just a few drops. Whatever looked good.
                  S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Double R.....I appreciate the recipe. Tell yer folk's thank's!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

Mike, here ya go:

2 pounds watermelon rind
                      2 cups vinegar
                      2 cups water
                      4 cups sugar
                      1 stick cinnamon
                      1 tsp whole cloves
                      1 tsp whole allspice
                      1 lemon sliced thin

Remove all pink portion a watermelon. Cut inta chuncks 2 x1 inch an bout 1/2 inch thick. Weigh. Soak rind overnight in brine made by dissolvin 1/4 cup salt in each quart a water. Drain rind an wash in fresh water an drain again. Cook the rind in fresh water until tender. Combine rest a the ingredients an boil tagether bout 5 minutes. Add rind a few at a time an cook until rind is clear. Pack rind in hot sterilized jars an cover with boiling syrup an seal.

As I member this was mighty fine stuff.
                      sigpic

Comment

This looks good. Never had it but I think I will be making some!
                        "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                        PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
                          Mike, here ya go:

As I member this was mighty fine stuff.
                          Yeah Baby! It is goood stuff! Thanks! fer diggin that up!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                            Double R.....I appreciate the recipe. Tell yer folk's thank's!
                            No problem. Some of this traditional stuff mom took with her. All in her head. Like the suet pudding recipe. Man could I go for some of that. Luckily this was written down.

Oh, and I forgot to list beet pickles on that tupperware pickle tray. Another one of those german things I guess.
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Ray, here be the one I got:

Steamed Suet Puddin

3 cups sifted flour
                              1 tsp soda
                              1 tsp cinnamon
                              1 tsp cloves
                              1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
                              1 tsp salt
                              1 Cup suet
                              1 Cup sour milk
                              1 Cup molasses
                              1 Cup raisins

Mix an sift the dry ingredients, keepin one half cup of flour to sift over the raisins. Chop the suet fine an add it to the milk an molasses. Combine the two mixtures an add the raisins, dredged with the flour. Grease yer puddin molds or bakin powder cans an fill two thirds full with the mixture. Cover an steam for 3 hours.

Sound sumtin like what yer ma made? Grandma made this en from time ta time. I can't rightly say I remember it, gonna have ta whoop up a batch.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X