Your Kitchens Germiest Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Kitchens Germiest Items

I'm not sure how dish towel & sponge is not on this list is beyond me...

1. Refrigerator Vegetable Compartments

Dark, moist environments are breeding grounds for bacteria, even inside the cold confines of a fridge. Crispers for produce are a feature on all of our best refrigerators. These compartments come into direct contact with your fruits and veggies, so it's important to clean them monthly, if not more often. If you can, remove the drawers. Wash them in warm water with a mild detergent using a clean sponge or cloth. If you sniff out any lingering odors, give them another wash with a solution of a quart of water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Smart tip: Keep washed and packaged produce separate from raw or unwashed produce.

2. Refrigerator Meat Compartment
    In the meat compartment you have the added problem of meat juices leaking out. Clean this area at least once a month exactly the same way as the produce crispers. But be sure to clean it whenever you see any spilled meat juices. If you're storing meat on a shelf, use the lowest one, so that spillage doesn't drip down on anything else.

3. Blender Gasket
    For those of us who don't have a degree in blender engineering, the blender gasket is the rubber ring that creates a seal between the blade assembly and the jar. Most blenders, including GHRI's top picks, are built this way. The gasket becomes very dirty if the jar isn't completely disassembled for cleaning. After unplugging the blender, take apart the blender jar, which includes removing the blade and gasket. If the pieces are dishwasher safe (consult your manual) place them in the dishwasher. If not, wash the jar, blade, gasket and lid in hot, soapy water, then dry them completely before reassembling.

4. Can Opener
    Who would have thought the unassuming can opener would be so germy? Even though only tiny amounts of food residue linger on the blade, organisms begin to thrive on them. Then, the next time you open a can, the cutting wheel transfers the little buggers to clean food. If your can opener is dishwasher safe, throw it in the machine after each use. Otherwise, wash it with soap in hot water, making sure to pay special attention to every part of the blade.

5. Rubber Spatulas
    Great for scraping every last bit of brownie mix out of a bowl, but also a hiding place for bacteria. Like the blender, the problem comes from not adequately disassembling the rubber spatula after it's used. Gunk can build up in the cracks and crevices and won't necessarily be eliminated during cleaning. Make sure to disassemble your spatulas during hand-washing. If yours is a one-piecer, be extra diligent about cleaning the area where the spatula connects with the handle. Spatulas that are dishwasher safe should be taken apart and the pieces placed in the flatware basket.

6. Food Storage Containers with Rubber Seals
    If you're storing food, you don't want the container, the very thing that's supposed to protect it, to contaminate it. Many containers have grooves in the rubber seal to create an airtight closure. If you don't pay special attention to these crevices, they can harbor germs that will find their way into your lunch when you pull out yesterday's leftovers. Make sure the lid goes into the dishwasher with the container or inspect the rubber seal to make sure there's nothing left over after hand washing.
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Great common sense info Ken!
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I came across this on yahoo during lunch today and thought why would they not have the items I posted included.. Oh well... Buy them books send them to school.. And still get some dumb folks out there that do not know these items are a risk..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I have all of the except #6......

time to get cleaning....
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Great stuff Ken, thanks for posting it.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I rarely use dish towels, etc. It's all paper stuff now. And I cant STAND a rancid dish cloth...never could. Use a stainless pad, or just my hands to wash.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The germiest items are the condensing coil of your refrigerator and the drain pan under the refrigerator.

When was the last time you clean them? 20 years ago?

dcarch

Comment

Not guilty of any of them...Louie is a clean it up woman...bleach/ammonia/peroxide...think...she could do surgery in the kitchen...Me...I might need to check me p-38!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                X