Harvard Beets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Beets

It was fun asking dad for some of these old recipes. This stuff gets lost easily. If it isn't shared with the next generation it will be forgotten.

He dug out this recipe for me. When he was repeating it over the phone he began to chuckle. I asked what was funny. He said this recipe card is 52 years old. What?!! He said he had just got his car, and went out to the Whalen farm to buck hay bales. When the day was over and all was stored, the workers were asked to stay for dinner. Mrs. Whalen had made a big meal. Ate these beets, loved them, and asked her to write it down to take home to his mom. He said this is her handwriting. It's 52 years old. Man, do I feel old now. Gotta love him.

You can use fresh or canned beets. If using fresh, peel, slice and boil in water until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. If using canned, (two 15 or 16 0z. cans) drain reserving 1/2 cup of liquid.

In a kettle big enough for all, add:

1/2 cup sugar
    2 Tblsp. flour
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup reserved liquid
    2 Tblsp. butter
    1 tsp. salt

Simmer until it begins to thicken. Add cooked beets and simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes. Keep stirring, it'll be thick and could stick in the pan.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Sounds good, we love beets.

Thanks
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Double R...it don't get any better than that! Louie & I have save these kinda recipe's for those that come behind us! Appreciate ya! I will be doing this!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

RR,
        I tried beets once, when I was a little girl, hated them.
        This recipe I am going to have to try, especially with the wonderful story accompanying it. Thanks for the post and tell pop's thanks for the recipe!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
          RR,
          I tried beets once, when I was a little girl, hated them.
          This recipe I am going to have to try, especially with the wonderful story accompanying it. Thanks for the post and tell pop's thanks for the recipe!
          You're welcome. Funny you should word it that way. Everyone, and I mean anyone who knows him, calls him Pops. I don't think I've called him dad, in 30 years. Except when refering to him here. Lol.

And for the record, If he'd wear the red and green suspenders we bought him, he'd be Red Green's standin. I'm not kidding. Same beard, clothes, hat.....everything. He didn't think the suspenders were quite as funny as we did.
          Last edited by RowdyRay; 06-27-2009, 05:38 PM.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
          X