Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hornet's Nest Cake, Smoked Chuck Roast and Italian Sandwich Torte. Kettle and DO Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornet's Nest Cake, Smoked Chuck Roast and Italian Sandwich Torte. Kettle and DO Fun!

It was a HOT and humid weekend here in Kentucky!

Smoked a chuck roast on the Kettle with hickory. Rubbed with RSS Bubba's Best Beef rub. Gave it a couple hours of smoke then put it in a foil pan with some onions, potatoes and a can of Budweiser. Picked a little fresh Rosemary and put on top on the roast. Covered it with foil and gave it about another hour - it was fork tender.

I've been wanting to try a Hornet's Nest cake in my DO and put that together. Recipe I found was a little "off"...original recipe from Everyday Dutch Oven:

1 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
    2 cups whole milk
    1 18 oz package plain yellow cake mix
    1 11 oz package butterscotch chips
    1 cup chopped pecans

Lightly oil or spray 12 inch dutch oven; line with parchment paper. Mix pudding and milk in large bowl according to package directions. Add cake mix, stir until well combined, there will be a few lumps in the batter. Pour batter into prepared dutch oven, smooth evenly with spatula. Sprinkle batter completely with butterscotch chips. Sprinkle chips with chopped pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until tester in center comes out clean. Cool in dutch oven for 30 minutes before lifting out with parchment paper.

Well, first, my store doesn't carry 3.4 oz box of pudding mix so I used two 1.5 oz boxes. Second, the recipe says 2 cups milk and then in the instructions says to mix pudding and milk according to package directions. Directions on my pudding says 3 cups per box. I didn't have a measuring glass but I'm going to guess that I used about 4 cups, maybe 4 1/2 cups of milk. Third, the recipe was for a 12" DO. I used my 10" shallow and it took it a little over an hour to bake. This cake turned out amazing! I love how the butterscotch chips melt and the pecans get crunchy....

Here, I just have to show you some pictures.

Smoking in front of the barn...it gets shade almost all day and is SOOOO much cooler.

My sister in law gave me some Lodge parchment paper DO liners. First time I used one for the Hornet's Nest Cake. It did make clean up easy but I didn't really care for it.

About half way

Done!!!

Chuck done

Definitely will be doing this cake again with the right amount of milk next time.

Also made an Italian Sandwich Torte. I used a tube of crescent rolls and put them in the bottom of my 10" shallow DO. Then layered in order: spinach, salami, provolone and deli ham. Beat 3 eggs and added about a half of cup of Parmesan and poured over. Added some roasted red peppers. Repeat layers, spinach, salami, provolone and ham. 3 more eggs with Parmesan. A few more red peppers then top with another roll of crescent rolls. Covered the DO with foil and add lid. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes, removed foil and baked about another 30 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes. YUM-O!!!!

Used the Kettle for a DO table again.

I got busy and forgot to rotate my DO and lid. This was when I removed the foil after first 30 minutes of baking...you can see where I had a hot spot.

But in the end it turned out OK.

Letting it cool under a cute little net I found.

And when it came time, I flipped it right out of the DO...no problems.

Bottom did get a little more done than I would have liked but it wasn't bad. Sandwich is good eaten warm, room temp or cold.

This picture was taken after it was completely cooled. I cut it up in small slices and packed it away for later.

Thanks for looking! Sorry for so many pics!
    Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Those are some fine looking cooks right there! That cake looked off the charts goooooood!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Excellent Dutch oven cook, Becky! I'd try some of that anytime.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Girl, you are dangerous,...in a good way!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

That's it, I can't take it anymore, I am moving to Kentucky...that torte is over the top girl!
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Becky nice job on all of it. That said... That Italian Sandwich Torte did it for me! Damn!
            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
            Yoder Wichita
            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Great Looking cooks there... Have some for a fine job... In my best Forest Gump voice...
              God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
              Weber Performer Gold
              Masterbuilt 26" twins
              Big Chief Electric smoker
              Brinkmann barrel smoker
              LEM sausage stuffer
              Cabela's pro HD grinder
              Maverick ET-732
              ThermoWorks Thermapen
              GrillGrates

Comment

Lady I would be all over that Italian sandwich thingie...

It all looked great but....Damn.......
                I gotta get me a DO and learn to use it
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Awesome Bunch of Goodies There, Becky!!!----------

Wow!!! Fantastic!!

However, don't mention Hornets' Nests. I nearly ran into one, while mowing my back yard yesterday. My Son said he'll spray it, as I have enough trouble walking, let alone running.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Could I hire you to cook for me daily? Phenomenal Becky! !
                    Don

Humphrey's Pint
                    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                    Anova One Sous Vide
                    AMPS
                    Purple Thermapen
                    Maverick ET-733
                    DigIQ DX2
                    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Re:

Becky that is some inspiring food yur making there. Yes, I'd like to get a taste of that myself.

No one deserves any more than you for that effort !

Please, keep up the good work girl.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                        That's it, I can't take it anymore, I am moving to Kentucky...

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        I gotta get me a DO and learn to use it
                        Go for it, Craig!! They are easy to use!!

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        However, don't mention Hornets' Nests. I nearly ran into one, while mowing my back yard yesterday. My Son said he'll spray it, as I have enough trouble walking, let alone running.
                        Watch out! Hope your son takes care of that for you!

Thanks again, EVERYONE!
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Dang it, me girl Maggsie has done it again, twice in one post actually,,,

First off, that hornets nest cake looks like something i would really like. I am going to have to go over your recipe and I absolutely got to give it a shot. And i dont really care much for cakes/desserts, but i really like the looks of this one.

And then there is the Torte. Not only is it a great idea but I see something with about as many options as a fatty. Awesome! Thanks for sharing this post, you have inspired me to get the ovens out this weekend.

And if i could give you twice on a single post i would, but i cant so you will have to settle for and and and !!!
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

WOW Becky you are "the one" when it comes to creating meals in that chunk of cast iron.worth more than I can give out at one time
                            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                            members mark upright propane smoker
                            kingsford bbq
                            23"weber kettle

Comment

Missed this post.... OMG Becky! Outstanding once again! You rock girl!!!!!
                              Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you only have today!

Comment

Working...
                              X