I think I done good! Now I need some cast iron help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I done good! Now I need some cast iron help

Our food trailer had an auction to work yesterday and today. Which I smoked a whole sirloin roast, sold out very quick and a lot of compliments. And I was told my breakfast sandwich was the best they ever had. So I'm pretty happy. Anyways halfway through the sale some pans came up. The big one sold first so they had 3 left. They lumped them all together and I got them for a total of $6 The big one I think will be a dog pan. The bottom is shiny and it weighs less than the small ones.
    Got 2 of these, no writing on the whatsoever

There's a little rust on them, so what's the best way to clean these up and to season them. I'm very new to CI so any tips is appreciated.
    Towards the end of the sale they had 3 waffle makers. I passed on the first one hoping he didn't take them all and I could get them cheaper. Didn't happen 2 left and I paid more for them. Got them for $30 a piece. Quick look on eBay and I think I did good.
    Wagner size 8 pat. Feb 22, 1910

Griswold 8 pat Dec 1, 1908

Now the questions, do I need to season these? Can these be placed on the stove top? Any others tips would be great. Really excited about these!
    sigpic

Scour that bad boy really good with some steel wool and reseason it, you'll be good to go then! As for waffle irons, no idea. I would assume they need to be cleaned and seasoned real good then use the heck out of them.
    Phil. 4:13
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by hit or miss View Post
      Scour that bad boy really good with some steel wool and reseason it, you'll be good to go then! As for waffle irons, no idea. I would assume they need to be cleaned and seasoned real good then use the heck out of them.
      Thanks, the waffle irons look brand new on the inside. So only have to wash them off cause they're dusty.

Also had an old cast iron sausage stuffer. Looked to be in perfect condition. Was hoping it'dgo cheap but sold for $150. Couldn't spend all the profit
      sigpic

Comment

Cast iron is an investment...return has many rewards...hard for some to deal with the iron...when you know your temps or use a DO...Man...you have got it on!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Too bad on the stuffer. I had a friend give me one that was in his family forever. It has all the pieces, even the small press top and the lard pressing basket.
          Phil. 4:13
          Scott

Comment

Nice finds! Scrub them both down, dry them well, and coat with Crisco or spray with Pam and put in hot oven or hot grill until they quit smoking. I use my grill so the fire alarm doesn't go off every 5 seconds.

Rowdy Ray has a good step by step here http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2546
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Thanks Becky! Sounds like a good project for the 4th.

The one says five, so I'm guessing its a 5". One of them is gonna be egg pan. The waffle iron sits nicely over the big burner on the stove. I'm thinking breakfast for supper tonight.
              sigpic

Comment

You might also find it useful to use vinegar on the rusty spots after removing the surface rust. It penatrates the suface and zaps any unseen iron oxide(rust) into iron sulfate, effectively stopping future rust outbreaks. Just leave the vinager on a few minutes scrub clean and season.
                JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                  You might also find it useful to use vinegar on the rusty spots after removing the surface rust.

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  Thanks Becky! Sounds like a good project for the 4th.
                  You're welcome, Ryan. Whiskey Fish is right...vinegar helps a lot. Some people use Coke. Check out this thread of a DO I cleaned up.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17273
                  Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Nice pick ups! Congrats! Nothing cooler then getting a deal on some rusty dirty old CI and restoring it and putting it to good use!

I restored my Griswold Waffle iron. It was painted black and had rust and crud under that so it was a lot of work! Keep us undated with your progress!

What the WI's look like after restored!

-Modified Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
                    -22.5" Blue Weber Gold w/ weber side table
                    -18.5" '69 daisy wheel Weber redhead restored
                    -Smokey Joe Silver x 2 --- one turned Mini WSM
                    -Coleman road trip grill
                    -Charbroil performance gasser
                    -Maveric ET-732
                    -CI: Le Creuset#23, Wagner#3, Wagner square skillet, lodge#8, wagner #9 griddle, griswold #9 slant griddle, griswold #10 block skillet, griswold #5 small, griswold #7 slant skillet w/ heat ring, griswold #8 block with self basting lid

Comment

Originally posted by rg02 View Post
                      It was painted black...
                      Why would someone do that...
                      Becky

Weber Smokey Joe