POS shelf on Traeger Teas Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POS shelf on Traeger Teas Grill

As most of you folks may know, I recently acquired a new Traeger Texas grill and have been running it through it's paces for a few months now.

Over all, I have been absolutely delighted with the ease of assembly, use and quality of food it produces....I love almost every aspect of cooking with this unit.....save a couple:

The optional front shelf (pictured below) was offered with the grill....had a choice of that, or a free bag of pellets. I now know why it was offered....it's the biggest piece of chit I have ever come across, and it failed miserably in it's very first test. Don't expect to be able to set anything heavier than a pair of tongs or a grill brush on this thing or you'll be sorely disappointed.

Here's how it went....smoked up some St Louis style ribs a while back, and when they were done, removed them to the shelf and placed them on a cutting board....seems the natural thing to do.....right? Wrong!!!

As I gently separated the ribs...hey...they were as tender as I've ever made and sliced them, the entire shelf failed and If I weren't quick enough our whole dinner would have hit the deck.

I bent it back into shape but then had a similar experience when setting my DO on it for a few seconds....damned thing wilted like your willy would looking at Nancy Pelosi!

So...I emailed Jake Schmid at Traeger and he asked me to call him to discuss getting the shelf replaced...to be honest, I don't want another one if it's the same design because this is purely a design flaw and it will undoubtedly fail again.

I'll keep you all informed on the progress of getting the shelf replaced, but just wanted to warn any potential buyers.

Again...I LOVE this grill, but it's a pity the add-ons are so poorly made.
    Last edited by Hoser; 07-09-2013, 04:31 AM.
    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Well that stinks... not sure why they would not have designed it where it had angle supports from the front of the grill to the legs of the smoker.. Seems like an easy enough mod to make.. Not sure why they would have not done that..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      Well that stinks... not sure why they would not have designed it where it had angle supports from the front of the grill to the legs of the smoker.. Seems like an easy enough mod to make.. Not sure why they would have not done that..
      They have indeed redesigned the shelf Ken....how sturdy it is remains to be seen.
      http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/de...5#.UdvrGPm1Hh4

Guess I'll have to do some negotiating on the price though. What I can't believe is that they still offer the other shelf for sale...they should scrap the whole heap of them, or just sell them as extra grill grates.
      sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Just a suggestion, but maybe you might want to find a welder to fabricate a heavier piece of steel for the front of the Traeger with 45 degree angle supports from the front of the shelf back to the grill, itself, that hook into the unit.

Welding companies sometimes like to have little challenges and they are reasonable in cost.

Just thinking out loud.

Ed
        Yoder YS480
        Yoder Cheyenne
        Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
        Kettlepizza

Comment

Thank You Hoser!!!

At least this time I know what "POS" is.

LOL----Last time it meant "Point Of Sale".

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
          X