fast brisket ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast brisket ???

i have a pastor friend in fla. who wants to do some brisket for his church.
    he would like to do it in 6 hours. obviously not low n slow. he has access to a tank pit. (4feet x 2 feet) and is thinking more like a smokey oven.
    with every thing else he is doing he does not have the time to spend 14 hours smoking slow.

suggesstions: time, temp, any method help
    idea: if you were going to do a brisket in the oven ???

please no smart remarks i know
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

i've got to take off so i will check for answers in a couple of hours
    if there are any questions i will get back with you when i return

thanks for the help
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

dont think it will happen ....it really depends on how many lbs the brisket is....a 7lb'er would still take 7-9 hours i would think if not longer at 250....he might want to look into doing something else or see if some one else can do it if he doesnt have the time......hope this helps
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
        with every thing else he is doing he does not have the time to spend 14 hours smoking slow.
        I've never had one get done even that fast.
        I certainly wouldn't do packers. Do room temperature points in a 250° smoker to 140°, then foil and finish in an oven at 350°.

Tom

Comment

I have done a 12 lb packer brisket in 9 hours on my UDS running temps around 250-275. I think the direct heat of the drum helps in that case though. It came out great but I am not a brisket expert by any means. BbqBubba commented in that thread that he does 12 lb packers in 8 hours at 300 degrees. So if you run temps a little hotter than normal you may still get good results.
          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I have heard of the so-called "Speed brisket" method. It's done at high temps... 300+ and foiled to prevent excessive charring as I recall. Hmm where did I read about that...? Any help anyone??
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Just got a reply from Bubba at another forum-
              "I'm cookin 12-14 lb packers on the drum at 325ish and finishing in 7-8 hrs!"

No mention of foil..but hopefully he'll stop by and clarify :{)
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I remember reading about folks doing the sear method getting em done pretty quick. I haven't tried it myself.

In fact every time I do brisket it gets done about 4 hours after dinner.
                Keith

Comment

you MITE get lucky, like we did at last years gathering............2- 10 lbers was done in 7 hours. Also had one this year, done in under 7 hours.......but that was just luck..........but like rich said, there IS a method for a speed brisket NOT done on a drum............i think its posted over at the dark side..............it was done at high temps also.......but to me........i don't see how you can break down the meat in that short of period of time !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Don't flame me.... however, there was just a post about cutting a butt into good size hunks and then smoking, it came out in a lot less time pulled and moist.. I can't find the post, I will keep tyring. Could you do the same thing here?

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ht=sliced+butt

Here is the thread, Fat Head Carl did the post, it was done in 6 hours.
                    Last edited by Bbqgoddess; 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM. Reason: found the post

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I had a 12 pounder finish up in 8 hours only running at 250. At that time there seemed to be alot of posts on speed briskets. Maybe an atmospheric abnormality

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                        dont think it will happen ....it really depends on how many lbs the brisket is....a 7lb'er would still take 7-9 hours i would think if not longer at 250....he might want to look into doing something else or see if some one else can do it if he doesnt have the time......hope this helps
                        Young Jedi, much to learn.

IF he can get his pit to 325ish, IF he don't peek and poke at it, you can cook a moist, tender brisket in about 6-8 hrs. Packers included!

Foil at 165ish till probe tender and let rest. You'll be pleased with the results!
                        Obviously it won't be near as smokey as a low n slow cook but definetly better than oven cooked!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                          I remember reading about folks doing the sear method getting em done pretty quick. I haven't tried it myself.

In fact every time I do brisket it gets done about 4 hours after dinner.
                          Thought I was the one who was last outta the pit's. They kick me behind.
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            Don't flame me.... however, there was just a post about cutting a butt into good size hunks and then smoking, it came out in a lot less time pulled and moist.. I can't find the post, I will keep tyring. Could you do the same thing here?

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ht=sliced+butt

Here is the thread, Fat Head Carl did the post, it was done in 6 hours.
                            Yes - the cut was marked "Sliced pork butt". If I had to guess it was the top of a boston butt, as it had the fat cap on top, and a bone (that looked like the flat bone) on the bottom.

I did these 3-2-"sauce-and-sear" (on the grill). They were supposed to be 3-2-1 method: dry rubbed, then 3 hours in smoke, then 2 hours wrapped in foil with a healthy splash of apple juice, then 1 more hour in smoke....

BUT - it was so close to dinner, and they were pretty much done, so I just sauced them, and finished them on the grill.

Turned out great - very tender - and the home made BBQ I slathered on them didn't hurt any either.
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Weber 22.5" Silver
                            Weber Performer Platinum
                            Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
                            Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
                            [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Also - to clarify on my post above...everything was served whole, none of it was pulled. There were ribs, sliced pork butt (from the butcher that way...I didn't buy it), and country ribs.
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Weber 22.5" Silver
                              Weber Performer Platinum
                              Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
                              Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
                              [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X