DO cooking times?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO cooking times?????

Should have thought of this earlier. If a recipe for potatoes calls for 2 hours at 350 in the oven is it the same time in a dutch oven? I think things have a tendency to happen faster in a DO am I right?
    Thanks in advance!!
    G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

How are you using the DO?? Are you using charcoal briquets??
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Yes Sir!!

Comment

This chart should help with some temps... As for time I believe you will cook a little faster in a DO due to it holding heat better..
        Attached Files
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Awesome Ken thank you very much!! I'm doing bacon hasselback potatoes and the oven recipe calls for 2 hours so I'm thinking about an hour and a half should get me there! Thanks again very much!!!

Comment

Re:

Remember the DO is smaller in size and nearly full of food too.

When I use my 10" DO to make my escalloped potatoes with horseradish,
            I can do it in 45 minutes if the outdoors temps are 75 F or above. In cold
            weather perhaps an hour. But if I were using a large oven pan in the kitchen stove/oven I may be 1 1/2 hours+

But with the DO, use your lid lifter and rotate the DO every 10 or so minutes and counter rotate the lid when you do it.

The more you do this the better a "feel" you'll get for it.

You can start out like this:

and end up like this:

Around 45 minutes or so later.
            Last edited by eDJ; 09-26-2013, 11:23 PM.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Perfect DO advice and (coal) chart above. I always rotate the oven and lid, in reverse order.

PS: do not bother with cheap charcoal.
              PSS: if you can, keep a 1/4 full charcoal chimney with hot coals, on standby...
              Last edited by XLR8R; 09-26-2013, 11:31 PM.
              Weber 22.5
              Lil Chief
              1950's Crosley Shelvadore
              Bradley Smoker
              Maverick ET732
              Nesco Dehydrator
              Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                Remember the DO is smaller in size and nearly full of food too.

When I use my 10" DO to make my escalloped potatoes with horseradish,
                I can do it in 45 minutes if the outdoors temps are 75 F or above. In cold
                weather perhaps an hour. But if I were using a large oven pan in the kitchen stove/oven I may be 1 1/2 hours+

But with the DO, use your lid lifter and rotate the DO every 10 or so minutes and counter rotate the lid when you do it.

The more you do this the better a "feel" you'll get for it.

You can start out like this:

and end up like this:

Around 45 minutes or so later.
                Worthy of a thread of its own, by the looks of it.....
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Re:

LOL, yeah I got friends who think the only thing I should make in my DO's is these taters and the Mac & Cheese. That's about all they ask
                  for, or should I say Demand !

Now if 3monts or anyone else wants to try what I make, this'il git ya going.

Dutch Oven Scalloped Taters in a 10" DO

3 1/2 lbs thin sliced red potatoes (skin on)
                  1 large yellow onion cut in thin slices
                  1 ½ cups milk
                  1 Cup heavy Cream
                  1 stick butter
                  2 TBS flour
                  1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar/Colby/Monterrey jack mix is what I used)
                  ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
                  1TBS garlic powder
                  1TBS paprika
                  Fresh ground pepper
                  Salt

Optional

2 TBS Prepared Horseradish
                  1 Habinero Pepper minced (seeded and cleaned out good) or you could use a Jalapeno.

Prep 20-25 charcoal briquettes so they will be white and ready when the dutch oven is ready to bake. Get ya a chimney starter, it's money well spent. You put coals in the top part and in the bottom you put some newspaper. This is a super easy way to get your coals lit fast and easy.

Place thin sliced potatoes in bottom of the dutch oven. Mix in the onion slices. Sprinkle cheese between layers. Sprinkle evenly over top the pepper, salt, garlic and paprika. Melt the butter and mix with the milk, cream, and flour. Pour this mixture on top of the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle the Parmesan and shredded cheese on top.

When it's all fixed up pour milk down the side to fill up just below the
                  the top of the taters.

Place dutch oven lid on top. Place 8-10 coals evenly on the bottom, you can put them on the ground or we like to use a tin plate. Sit the dutch oven on top. Place 12 coals evenly around the top. About every 10 – 15 minutes, turn the dutch oven a half turn. Then counter rotate the lid a half turn. This ensures a more even bake since some coals may be burning hotter than others. As hard as it is to resist, do not open your dutch ovens during baking since it lets out a lot of the heat. Once you think your taters are done you can lift the lid and check. Usually 45 minutes.

I slice my taters about 1/4 inch and the same with the onions. When you see the steam blowing out the edge of the lid you'll know to start
                  turning your DO & Lid every 10 or so minutes.

After I'm finished I let these rest 10 or 15 minutes. I tell my friends they won't get much cooler than that what with the pepper and all.

Just have the Beer ice cold and plenty of Iced Tea for the wimmen.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Working...
                  X