Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Turkey Jerky (1st smoke the smoker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Turkey Jerky (1st smoke the smoker)

Hey guys decided to get a couple wild trukey breasts out of the freezer to make some jerky. I also wanted to do something simple in my smoker for it's first smoke. I cut the turkey breasts into strips and let it marinate for about a day and a half. I hung it on bamboo skewers from one of my racks. I put some hickory smoke to it for a little over an hour with no heat using my amaznsmoker. I then hit the heat at about 175 for a little over 3 hours before the texture was to my liking. I like my pretty dry, so your saliva has to moisten it up as you eat it. It came out real nice and my 3 boys cannot keep their grubby mitts off of it. Now on to something bigger and better like a rack of ribs. I am looking forward to a lot more smokin' this summer now that my smoker is finished.
    Attached Files
    1938 General Electric Homegrown Frig Smoker

Looking good!!! Its been a while since I've made jerky and I've never tried turkey jerky. I'll have to make some one of these days.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    *A Texan transplant*

UDS | Blue Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | Blue Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 | Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)

Comment

Looks like you kicked some turkey jerky butt right there! Nice job!
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Look good! what cure U usin?
        Good lookin stufft!!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

its my own recipe that I've been using for years usually for venison and beef. I used to do it in the oven before I built the smoker. The recipe uses worcestershire, soy sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, accent and tobasco. It also calls for liquid smoke, but since it was in the smoker, no liquid smoke this time around. I also added a couple tablespoons of brown sugar this time around. My buddy added some to my recipe a while back and it was good. You wouldn't even know you're eating turkey unless I told you. Tasted just like beef or venison does. If you want the specific recipe, send me a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            Look good! what cure U usin?
            Good lookin stufft!!
            Originally posted by gdublongwilly View Post
            its my own recipe that I've been using for years usually for venison and beef. I used to do it in the oven before I built the smoker. The recipe uses worcestershire, soy sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, accent and tobasco. It also calls for liquid smoke, but since it was in the smoker, no liquid smoke this time around. I also added a couple tablespoons of brown sugar this time around. My buddy added some to my recipe a while back and it was good. You wouldn't even know you're eating turkey unless I told you. Tasted just like beef or venison does. If you want the specific recipe, send me a pm.

Since you have no cure in the recipe that I see be sure to keep it refrigerated so it does not go bad on you.. Just sayin, a level tsp of prevention (cure per 5lbs) will keep you and others from being really sick..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              Since you have no cure in the recipe that I see be sure to keep it refrigerated so it does not go bad on you.. Just sayin, a level tsp of prevention (cure per 5lbs) will keep you and others from being really sick..
              I would second this. Altho your process as outlined for the turkey is CLOSE- it's prolly OK. REMEMBER 4 hours between 40 and 140 is all you have to ensure safe food. Curing eliminates that.

And if you use a combination cure like Tenderquick, you do indeed get some insurance after the process. Altho your biggest friend is the dryness/moisture content at that point.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow, never used a "cure" I guess. We've been making this recipe a couple times a year since I was a kid (am 39 now). My dad used to make it in the oven, letting it dry for 8-10 hours. We have never had an issue with anyone being sick. Usually just throw it in a gallon glass pickle jar and eat it until its gone. Now that you have brought it to my attention, I will be looking to add it to my recipe. Thanks guys, love this sight and everyone's input. I have learned a lot already and will learn much more for sure. Thanks again!

Comment

As I said... your process is close, but there's not reason to even risk it. You may even like the jerky better with the cure. If you PM me yur address, I'd be happy to ship you 5 pound's of meat worth of Cure 1. Just add it...no need to change anything in your recipe.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                  X