Now for the cure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now for the cure!

Well I have decided to use natural casing for all but snack sticks and after some research have decided Tender Quick is not suitable as a sausage cure.
    It appears to me the salt content would be way to high by the time the needed amount of cure is added.

That seems to leave me with either Prague #2 or Intacure #2. There seems to be little or no difference in these cures. Is this correct? Also recipes that call for the addition of salt; do you replace the salt 1:1 with the cure or is the cure assumed in the recipe?

For sausage salt I plan on using either Kosher or Pickling salt.
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Cure #2 is only for dry-cured sausage like salami. For regular smoked sausage Cure #1 is what you want.

Cure #1
    Pink Salt
    Instacure #1
    Prague Powder #1 All the same.

As far as salt, most smoked sausage recipes will have cure as an ingredient. Otherwise count the cure as part of the salt amount. Cure #1 is added 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat.

Here is a good read on the subject. http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/nitrates-intro.htm
    Last edited by Kingudaroad; 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM.
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
      Cure #2 is only for dry-cured sausage like salami. For regular smoked sausage Cure #1 is what you want.

Cure #1
      Pink Salt
      Instacure #1
      Prague Powder #1 All the same.

As far as salt, most smoked sausage recipes will have cure as an ingredient. Otherwise count the cure as part of the salt amount. Cure #1 is added 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat.

Here is a good read on the subject. http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/nitrates-intro.htm
      Thanks! I actually just figured that out and was about to edit the post. LOL
      sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Nothing wrong with using cure#1 but I've used Tenderquick often making sausage with excellent results. Just omit the salt from the recipe as the Tenderquick will supply it. Also, the ratio for Tenderquick when using ground meat is 1.5 teaspoon of TQ per lb of meat, not the 1 tablespoon of TQ per lb of whole muscle meat.
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane
        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
          Nothing wrong with using cure#1 but I've used Tenderquick often making sausage with excellent results. Just omit the salt from the recipe as the Tenderquick will supply it. Also, the ratio for Tenderquick when using ground meat is 1.5 teaspoon of TQ per lb of meat, not the 1 tablespoon of TQ per lb of whole muscle meat.
          I have TQ on hand as it is available local. Are there others out there using TQ for sausage making?
          sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

ure #1 is added 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat.
            ALWAYS weigh cure salt.
            it's pretty toxic and teaspoons vary considerably, without factoring in whether you need level or rounded tsp.

weigh the cure and add other salt to taste.
            but please weigh the cure :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              ALWAYS weigh cure salt.
              it's pretty toxic and teaspoons vary considerably, without factoring in whether you need level or rounded tsp.

How much does a TSP weigh? I always level every volume measure I use.
              sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

ALWAYS weigh cure salt.

if you will look in your ryteks.........all measurements are in tsp/tblsp measurements.........
                the only time i weight, is when i MAKE #1 and #2
                Last edited by Walking Dude; 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Actually rytek states that cure should always be weighed and measurements are given in grams as it's a more precise way of measuring than ounces - Dude I've practically memorised ryteks book :-)
                  Disagree with some of it - but the curing stuff is spot on.
                  Weigh it.
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Actually rytek states that cure should always be weighed and measurements are given in grams as it's a more precise way of measuring than ounces - Dude I've practically memorised ryteks book :-)
                    Disagree with some of it - but the curing stuff is spot on.
                    Weigh it.

DUDE..........i don't know what rytek book YOU are looking at, but i have the FOURTH and NEWEST edition sitting here in front of me..........its ALL in teaspoons DUDE!

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Well you do that - I'll weigh it :-)
                      You did read the part about it being pretty toxic and the amount used needs to be pretty precise ?
                      And the part about it being weighed in grams ?
                      And the chemical reactions ?
                      I did.
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

here you go

and the tsp measurement

Comment

Well you do that - I'll weigh it :-)
                          You did read the part about it being pretty toxic and the amount used needs to be pretty precise ?
                          And the part about it being weighed in grams ?
                          And the chemical reactions ?
                          I did.
                          so did i

now YOU show me, in YOUR book, the WEIGHT, we are supposed to do......as shoote rick mentioned........how MUCH does a teaspoon WEIGHT??????

also did you read in your book that our own STOMACHS creates nitrates.............hmmmm,

Comment

Gentleman, I sincerly appologize if I have started a brewhaa. My intention was simple. I read some info and provided the link for discussion. Many on this and other sites are new to curing. I am new to sausage. Dosn't make me an idiot just unimformed as to curing sausage. I use this and other sites to educate myself and collect valuable info. From time to time I contribute back as I should. Must we ad curing in with politics and religion? Naaaaaa LMAO
                            sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Just to jump in the middle of this...

1 tsp. = 4.745 grams.

HTH!
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X