X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where the heck is all the oak in texas

cant find any, just hickory, apple and mesquite

Why is the rum always gone

I would be happy to bring you some back the next time I or one of my buds goes to our hunting property.. Your choice of Live Oak, Post Oak, or Shumard Red Oak..

One of us goes down almost every other weekend... It will be green but it will be ready to smoke with this fall...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by pyrate View Post
      cant find any, just hickory, apple and mesquite

Mesquite? People use that?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You dont like hickory
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

You don't like apple?
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I like oak. It's not as harsh as hickory and apple is too mellow for some things...like BEEF!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              I like oak. It's not as harsh as hickory and apple is too mellow for some things...like BEEF!

This is where I disagree.. I find Hickory to be more sweet than Oak.. But if you use any wood in excess it will be harsh..
              Ken

Comment

By the way pyrate I have one of my buddies (Smoke Doc) at the property this weekend, he may be able to bring some back!! Not sure how much he can fit in a Jeep Wrangler with a Lab in and out of the front seat..
                Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  This is where I disagree.. I find Hickory to be more sweet than Oak.. But if you use any wood in excess it will be harsh..
                  I wonder if it makes a difference where it grows. The hickory here is really strong. The hickory my brother gets in Virginia is much more mellow and maybe sweeter too. Something to do with the climate difference.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    I wonder if it makes a difference where it grows. The hickory here is really strong. The hickory my brother gets in Virginia is much more mellow and maybe sweeter too. Something to do with the climate difference.

It also could be type of Hickory Tree.. I bet he is getting Shagbark Hickory.. It is known as the best of the best of Hickory's and it grows quite plentiful in his neck of the woods..
                    Ken

Comment

I used pecan religiously in the Kansas City area. But when i moved to New Orleans and had a 60 ft pecan tree in my back yard. Even the dry cured limbs had an awful taste and smell!
                      "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippy View Post
                        I used pecan religiously in the Kansas City area. But when i moved to New Orleans and had a 60 ft pecan tree in my back yard. Even the dry cured limbs had an awful taste and smell!
                        I thin it's cause there is no "real" winter here, never freezes the ground. Prolly there too...or it might be the water... there
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

thanks for offering to bring some folks but that sounds like a lot of trouble.
                          Let me keep looking around has to be some somewhere
                          have not tried sports academy yet I think i saw some there

Comment

Originally posted by pyrate View Post
                            thanks for offering to bring some folks but that sounds like a lot of trouble.
                            Let me keep looking around has to be some somewhere
                            have not tried sports academy yet I think i saw some there

No trouble at all... He could cut and brings ome since it sitting right at camp in log form and he and I work in the North Dallas area (Valwood & I-35E) area..

Plus the only Oak that has been bagged I have seen in stores is that Jack Danial's whiskey barrel crap...
                            Ken

Comment

I like cooking on oak. Most of what I get is white and red oak, but I've never put any in my smokers. I just cook over a campfire sometimes covering the meat with a Weber lid to trap heat and smoke. It gives great flavor to everything I cook over the fire, but not the sweet smoky flavor of hickory. A slow cooked steak cooked over low oak coals is mighty tasty though.

Comment

Working...
                              X