Gasket for my YS640 Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket for my YS640 Modifications

So after experimenting with using high temp silicone on my YS640 to prevent lid leakage not too successfully, I decided to try something a little cleaner and purchased some nomex gasket from bbqgaskets.com. I purchased the 3/4" width x 1/8" thick with the self stick adhesive peel off strip on the back. http://bbqgaskets.com/contact_3.html

The problem was that I was getting just enough leakage around the lid that it was making a mess with my thermal blanket and lessening the amount of smoke that went into the meats, as well as affected the positive air-flow of the YS640. This is a great mod for any smoker and pretty inexpensive... about a buck a linear foot.

In order to test it, I made a rack of spare ribs to see how well the gasket prevented the smoke from leaking (no sense firing up the smoker without putting something on it!). The ribs turned out awesome and there was no leakage with the gasket installed! Success!

I'm including some pictures, although they didn't turn out all that well as the white of the nomex gaskets reflected back pretty bad, but you'll get the idea.

Here are some of the pictures of the modifications:

Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Excellent MOD, I will definitely put in an order.
    Yoder YS640
    Weber E-310
    Maverick ET-732

Comment

Excellent modification. I just did this 2 weeks ago to my Yoder Cheyenne wood smoker around the lid to the pit, lid to the firebox, and the door to the firebox. I used exactly the same material to complete the job. The self sticking nomex is really easy to apply and seems to really do the job. I think you are correct: I also noticed that wood smoker was keeping the heat much better making a better cook and less loading of fuel to keep the temperature even.

I did not think of applying this to the Yoder Pellet Smoker as I do not see the smoke leaking out. However, it probably would not hurt. And it only costs $20.00 for a role.

Great job!

Ed
      Yoder YS480
      Yoder Cheyenne
      Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
      Kettlepizza

Comment

Originally posted by veryolddog View Post
        Excellent modification. I just did this 2 weeks ago to my Yoder Cheyenne wood smoker around the lid to the pit, lid to the firebox, and the door to the firebox. I used exactly the same material to complete the job. The self sticking nomex is really easy to apply and seems to really do the job. I think you are correct: I also noticed that wood smoker was keeping the heat much better making a better cook and less loading of fuel to keep the temperature even.

I did not think of applying this to the Yoder Pellet Smoker as I do not see the smoke leaking out. However, it probably would not hurt. And it only costs $20.00 for a role.

Great job!

Ed
        Thanks Ed. Yeah, for the cost this is an easily justifiable mod to any smoker. Glad to hear it worked out for your smoker as well... and it will benefit the YS480 as well... if only to ensure positive air flow.
        Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
        Frogmats
        Maverick ET 732

Deano

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
          Thanks Ed. Yeah, for the cost this is an easily justifiable mod to any smoker. Glad to hear it worked out for your smoker as well... and it will benefit the YS480 as well... if only to ensure positive air flow.
          Really good timing. Thanks for posting. Just ordered a 15' roll. That way, it'll be here before my 640 shows up. Might as well do it while it's new!

Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
          ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
          Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
          Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
            Really good timing. Thanks for posting. Just ordered a 15' roll. That way, it'll be here before my 640 shows up. Might as well do it while it's new!

Great! Yes the best time is to do it when it is still a virgin
            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
            Frogmats
            Maverick ET 732

Deano

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
              Great! Yes the best time is to do it when it is still a virgin
              Hadn't thought of it that way. Now, it'll be FUN applying the nomex.
              Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
              ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
              Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
              Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                Frogmats
                Maverick ET 732

Deano

sigpic

Comment

That looks like a winner, although I don't feel like there is much smoke coming out. I'm going to give a try anyway Thanks for posting
                  John
                  Yoder YS 640 (USA)
                  Traeger Texas(USA)
                  Lumber Jack & Cookin Pellets
                  ET732
                  www.smokinwoodpellets.com
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the Gasket information. Going to try it on my MAK 2 Star just for fun.

Comment

Thank ds, I ordered it. I got a bit of leakage on my 640 and never scrimp on good ideas. The wife might differ about the $$, but I want it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
                        Thank ds, I ordered it. I got a bit of leakage on my 640 and never scrimp on good ideas. The wife might differ about the $$, but I want it right.
                        Did you install the new gasket on your Yoder? If so, are you liking it?

Comment

Yep. sure did. No leakage. I really didn't cook much except some brats before putting the gasket on so no real comparison. I also cut the gasket hole for two probes at the same time.

So.. No complaints, it's staying on well.

Comment

Working...
                          X