Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Salmon Start Up Company.. they hope

Thought you all might like the read.

All of this on a Red Head Weber... saw this on the news last night.. had a right purty red head.. You can see it in the link... for 30 bucks a pound I might start selling it as well....

A special family recipe for hot smoked, wild-caught sockeye salmon has launched a father-and-son team on a quest to begin producing the delicacy as a commercial business in Dayton.

Martin Davis Jr., and son Martin Davis III, expect to move into the former New York Style Pizza location at Wayne and Arbor avenues and begin producing 200 pounds of the salmon every week starting this fall. To supplement the venture they’re calling Oak River Salmon, they launched a 30-day campaign at Kickstarter.com, the crowdfunding site, to raise $25,000.

So far, with a looming Tuesday deadline to raise the full amount, 33 backers have offered $5,574 in exchange for product samples from Oak River Salmon. Anticipation is high, as the father and son team won’t get any of the Kickstarter funding unless they reach the goal.

There are other backers and investors, too, said Davis Jr. But Kickstarter would be a big help. They’re offering a special deal for investors in the final days of the campaign. The Davis’ project is one of four active Kickstarter fundraising projects in Dayton. Others include an arts project and a video game.

Crowdfunding is when individuals pool their money, usually via the Internet, to support efforts initiated by other people or organizations. Kickstarter, which began in 2009, allows the public to make small contributions to businesses and creative projects in return for a sample of a product, a t-shirt, or signed artistic creation.

The plan is to supply restaurants, retailers and caterers in the Dayton-Cincinnati region and also ship around the country through an online website. Davis Jr., who began wood-smoking fish as a hobby 20 years ago, spent four years perfecting his secret recipe of low-salt brine and natural ingredients. The fish will retail for about $30 a pound.

Davis Jr. comes to the project after careers in academe and business, the latest as a Wright State University instructor and project manager. His son is a University of Cincinnati grad with a degree in architectural engineering who’s now ready for the entrepreneurial world.

Both are fired up about the possibilities for locally smoked salmon. The delicacy would seem to fit in an area that’s become so enthusiastic lately about craft beers and gourmet food trucks. Martin Jr. said that his fish has gotten great reviews for years at gatherings of friends and family, and now’s the time to go commercial.

“It’s the best smoked salmon I’ve ever tasted,” said Ed Wiles, president of Knight’s Inn Inc., the company that owns the building where the Davis’ plan to move. “We’re really excited for these guys. Plus, we’ll be eating well.”

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...tarter0090.jpg
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Wow $30 to rich for me. That's an interesting funding program.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      low-salt brine
      no there's a contradiction in terms if I ever saw one.

$30 a pound is about the going rate for decent smoked salmon around here, and we get it directly, doesn't have to be shipped 1/4 way across the country.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

200lb a week isn't much if you're paying out on a commercially rented property.

mind you if you can shift it at $30 a lb - which by the way would be pretty cheap for hot smoked salmon in the uk - that's $6000 a week - that'd do me.

presumably it's going to need to be farmed salmon for regular supply.

Good luck to them - this internet group funding thingy bears looking into I think

It's not like you're selling shares in a potential company - just some product supply to the backers on a short term basis. So once you've covered that you still own 100% of the company. And no banks looking over your shoulder.
        Hmm...
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Not to be rude but, that's some pretty pale looking sockeye. I have been going to Alaska for several years and we smoke a shit load of fish. I have never had it turn opaque like that. My guess is they will have to buy farm raised to be able to supply year round. Best of luck to them, sounds like a fun adventure.

Comment

What's the USDA and local authorities have to say?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Found their Kickstarter Video..

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http:&#x2F;&#x2F;www.kickstarter.com&#x2F;pro jects&#x2F;630751485&#x2F;hot-smoked-sockeye-salmon-wild-caught-and-hand-mad&#x2F;widget&#x2F;video.html" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

Here is the page if anyone would like to read it...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d-mad?ref=live
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Those guys will most likely be smoking farmed salmon.

I just bought my first 2 sides a month ago, I was desperate to smoke some fish. I bought Atlantic's from Costco, smoked them, and as I suspected - it tastes like garbage. Suffice to say, I wouldn't feed farmed fish to my dog. My apologies to those who don't have another option but there really is no comparison.

Wild Salmon stocks here on the West Coast are way way down from forecasts. Apparently even the natives will have their supply closed this year. First time in 16 years. The waters are too warm. Our DFO is pathetic.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/met...494/story.html

I am supposed to be getting some Kings (Chinook) on Monday AM (not from home but south of the border).....I'm not betting on it. They were shut out last week. I'm also headed up the Coast of Vancouver Island for 10 days of fishing in the strait on Tuesday. Might be a nice boat ride! Most likely we'll be doing alot of bottom fishing for cod and setting crab and prawn traps. I'm not holding out hope for getting my quota of salmon.
                Last edited by XLR8R; 08-16-2013, 01:20 PM.
                Weber 22.5
                Lil Chief
                1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                Bradley Smoker
                Maverick ET732
                Nesco Dehydrator
                Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Working...
                X